Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

04 silverado electrical prob.. lights and other accesories come on on there own

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 04 silverado electrical prob.. lights and other accesories come on on there own

Good morning!

This is my first post on this forum. I have spent a good part of last night and this morning trying to figure out and research what is going on with my truck, and I cant find anyone having something similar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 2004 Silverado 2500 hd. Last night I parked my truck for 4 hours. when I left I watched the dome light turn off (just installed led and wanted to make sure it would turn off) and when I walked away from it I looked back at it and no lights were on. But when I came back, my marker lights were on and the haloes in my headlights were on (led halo, directly powered by clearance lights circuit, grounded to chassis). opened the door, dome light came on, headlight switch in "auto" (there is no off... there is but, its just there for decoration I guess). And you guessed it, battery dead. some one walked by and said my headlights were on as well.

I noticed my battery ground cable was a little loose so I tightened it. I got a boost and... the second I hooked up the last cable my headlights and markers were on, my dash was lit up, the brake warning light was on, my radio was on (after market touch screen going through demo mode)... all as if my key was on acc or run position, but the key was in my hand. turn to run and back to off and everything shut off except the dome light.. like it should be...

So I got the truck to start, limped it home with the weak battery (if you have ever had the pleasure of driving one of these when the battery is low you know what I mean), pulled in the garage and shut the truck off. unfortunately my problems were not over.. although all the lights shut off the fuel pump (6.0l gas engine btw) would not shut off. pulled the relay, shuts off. so, the relay is being powered for some reason.

So here is what I have done... I have a remote start.. ruled out, unplugged, no change.

Those halos, unplugged, no change.

aftermarket stereo system, with the mod for door chimes, un plugged, no change.

removed diode from hi and low headlight relays .. no change.

removed and checked back of fuse panel for corrosion moisture etc (found mouse nest.. no damage though) no change.

chassis grounds at firewall, left front body mount, all ok. no shorted bulbs in circuits. removed power and relays from all of my after market lights, nothing.

disheartened I removed the fuel pump relay, put the trickle charger on my battery, grabbed a beer and left it for the night.

This morning I have a fully charged battery, put the relay in, and the fuel pump is not running. everything Is back to normal.... any ideas?