Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

09 Silverado 5.3 threw rod through block!

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2013, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Silverado 5.3 threw rod through block!

Hey guys, I'm new to the Forum. Just bought a "preowned certified" 09 silverado crewcab LT 4x4 5.3 aluminum block 6 speed trans at the beginning of Dec 2012. It had 38k on it, I had to take it in last week because it had oil line and trany lines that were leaking also had the dealer change the oil while it was there. I picked it up on Thursday march 13th, everything got fix and I was happy with the work. Saturday march 16th my dad, brother and I all went down to Indy to watch the supercross race from MI about 450 miles round trip. On the way home while going down the highway I noticed a tick coming from the motor pulled over and nothing was out of the ordinary other then it was a little low on oil. Mind you it was about 1:30 am and I was still about 150 miles from home. So I filled it up and off I went on regular 2 lane roads at 55 mph. About 20 miles later the motor completely granaded, oil pouring out so im sure it threw a rod through the block. Still 110 miles from home a dead on the side of the road. This was all with out much warning, all 3 of us are pretty mechanically smart guys. The check engine light did not come on at all until about a min till it blew, the light flashed on and off about 4 times so I started to pull over and that is when it blew. And to top it all off the oil pressure gauge never dropped pressure even after it puked all the oil out and was struggling to get it off the road. So now I had it towed to the dealer were I bought it (100 miles away) and will go pay them a visit first thing Mon morn. And it only has 44k on it! Hoping the certified warranty will cover all of the work.
Old March 17th, 2013, 9:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Doesn't it still have the 5 year / 100K factory powertrain warranty? If it does, I believe GM picks up the warranty.
Old March 17th, 2013, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah it does but I have read that some people have gotten the run around a bit when dealing with this issue. Do you know will it be replaced with a new crate motor or a refurbished one?
Old March 18th, 2013, 6:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Under GM policy it will be a new refurbished motor, if available. If not, a crate. But don't be afraid of a refurbished motor. Those are gone through quite well, and the internal parts such as bearings, rings, are all new anyway and the other parts are closely inspected and check and if necessary, replaced.

If the dealer just sold it, dealer just did an oil change, I can't see how GM could blow off the warranty. And if there was something in the history of the vehicle that allows them to blow off the warranty, the dealer could not have obtained the certified GM used vehicle authority from GM.

Good luck...

Last edited by f5fstop; March 18th, 2013 at 6:52 AM.