Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1994 Chevy startup problems

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2013, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Chevy startup problems

Hi i have a 1994 chevy 1500 350, in the morning and after about an hour of not starting my truck, it will start for about a second or so and then shut off, and no matter how long i crank it it will not start up again unless i pull the key out and put it back in. Then it still does the same thing, THE ONLY WAY i can get it to stay running is hit the fuel line with a pipe wrench a couple of times, i just put a new fuel pressure regulator in last night and it ran fine until this morning, and it seems to have had no effect. IT does have a lot of lights, around 50 or so and also a remote start security system, i have a fuel filter to put on but at he moment ive pretty much given up, any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!! Also has a throttle body spacer.
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:40 AM
CF Senior Member

I would check your spider injection and or fuel pump, I just had to do a fuel pump on my buddy's 93 chevy for those same kind of symptoms.
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for replying, ive been told now it is probably the fuel pump, after about an hour of driving the thing will just completely quit, not even sputter, but all i still have to do is hit the ****ing fuel line and she goes! So ill try the pump and see.
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Heres an update, i did find a pretty good sized crack in my fuel line, i taped it up for now and it seemed to run better, but still shut off. Just wondering if anybody knows any sensor that would shut the engine off?? It doesnt even sputter when it shuts off either. Thanks!
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

had the same problem with mine. it was the fuel pump, if u replace fuel pump make sure and replace fuel filter to. but if you have a crack it could be sucking air instead of fuel and starving it. id get the crack fixed no matter what.
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Ive been told the pump and the filter, i have a filter to put on but just recently my alternator went out and i have about 8 offroad lights to power up and about 50 running lights among my normal lights for driving, id like to get that fixed first, anybody know what amp alternator i should use? I have the main battery up front connected to a deep cycle in the bed. I was alos told my security system could be turnign the truck off. thats the update as of now thanks guys!!
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

With all those lights, I would get at least a 120 amp alternator.