Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 4L60E whine

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2015, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 4L60E whine

I have a 1995 Chevy 1500 with the 4L60E transmission. Transmission went out and had it rebuilt by a local guy with a good reputation. Upon reinstallation (by me), I noticed a whine when trans temps reach 125-130 degrees. This whine occurs at or near idle in every gear including park and neutral, with no change. For starters, is this a clear indication of pump failure?

I have done quite a bit of troubleshooting. Line pressure at idle in park is 69 psi. I have separated the transmission from the motor to verify it was not engine related. I took a stethoscope and listened to the whine, and everything points to torque converter or pump.

I took the truck on a 90 mile journey in 43 degree weather, and had to stop about 50 miles in due to trans temp. Temps climbed to 239 before OD kicked out and I had to pull over to let it cool. Got temps below 200, continued on, and had to stop 20 miles later for the same issue. Rebuilder said the torque converter wasn't locking up (or unlocking), so we replaced the TCC solenoid. I did verify that the truck is sending the signal. Upon TCC solenoid installation, I noticed the fluid was like glitter, full of metal shavings, after just 500 miles. Rebuilder said TC was bad so I pulled the tranny, he flushed the tranny and replace the TC. Haven't road tested for temps, but I still have the exact same whine conditions. Whines in every gear but not until trans temp is 125-130. Do I have multiple issues here, or is everything indication that I have pump failure? Please give me your best input, I'm willing to do tests if need be.

Thank you in advance
Old April 19th, 2015, 9:56 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the original failure? If you shucked a TC, all that material goes right into the cooler. Was the cooler checked for restriction?

Your pressure is good. If the pump fails, you don't move.

Two wheel drive, right? Are you sure that rear mount is good? Not grounding out is it?

Allan
Old April 19th, 2015, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Original failure was due to heat, so likely it was the TC. However, when the tranny was pulled, I flushed the cooler lines. I also switched over from and aftermarket, independent cooler, to the cooler that was part of the new radiator I installed. It is 4wd, and what rear mount are u asking about? The trans mount under the transfer case is new. I'm not saying the pump has failed, but is this an indication that it could be starting to fail?