Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2009, 5:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New fuel Problem

Ok, so over the past few month something has happened more and more often. One day I pulled up in the driveway at my house and killed the truck. I immediately tried to restart it because my dad walked out the house and was walking toward his truck (I had just parked behind him). So when I went to start the truck, it just kept turning over and never actually started. I listened and didn't hear the fuel pump. The gauge was at about 1/4 and that is where it stops reading the amount of gas in the tank so I figured I was out of gas. Got my 5-gallon gas can out the back and put 5 gallons in. Turned the key, fuel pump engaged, truck started. That was a month ago. So two weeks ago, the same thing happened again and I put 5-gallons in and it started up. This time I went to the store immediately and filled up. 20 gallons was all it would hold, meaning the truck still had 9 gallons in it when it wouldn't start. (34-20-5=9) Today, the same thing happened. I put five gallons in it when it didn't start and I went directly to the store and put 14 more in to fill it up. That means there was still 15 gallons in it before. So after I got home I killed it and tried to start it again to see if the problem was fixed. I wouldn't start. I've ruled out the whole "out of gas" assumption and the fuel pump is an AC Delco that I installed a few months ago. It is 105 out here in East Texas and extremely humid. The only constant things in the situation are: It always refuses to start at the same place. It always starts at any other location in the world. It always starts after waiting five minutes.

Another thing I should mention is that over the same amount of time, the battery seems to slowly be draining. The motor barely turns over when it cranks and starts. When the truck doesn't start, the motor turns over very fast like I have a new battery. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but I figured I would mention it.
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, three things- what is it TBI-partial flooding?

Possibly evap cannister issue causing no start. It sounds for all the world like a vapor lock...

Ah, don't park it in that bad place anymore. Seriously, is your driveway on an up-angle?

Of course, we're all just assuming you've changed the fuel filter recently...
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is MPFI so the tbi flooding part is out.
The is no angle to the driveway, it just always seems to have this problem once every two weeks then it doesn't show again until those two weeks go by. It really acts like it isn't getting any fuel, but I don't know. Another thing that happened is after this problem showed up again yesterday, the SES light that had been on for a while turned off and now there are no codes. Did the truck decide to do some kind of a crazy reboot (lol) or something? It's running fine now and it has never (and I mean never) done this at any other spot than that one spot in my driveway. Maybe the truck hates that spot. I guess for now, I'll park somewhere else.