Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

05 Silverado, problem after problem.

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 Silverado, problem after problem.

After 2 months of owning this vehicle im pulling hair out. First cracked radiator then oil leaking and then possible head gasket..... Now this.

Took her out for a drive for dinner tonight, a cold and rainy Sunday evening. Drove it about 8 miles, ate for about an hour, and then went to go get gas.

As we pulled in the gas station, all of a sudden the truck felt like we were driving with the emergency brake on.... making a turn the rear wheels slipped a little and the truck was studdering. I put it in neutral and stopped. Put it in 4 wheel real quick, drove a little and turned it back to 2 wheel, no change.... Parked. Filled up with gas. Started her up and now its fine.

Any idea's? Im thinking somehow the electronic 4wheel turned on somehow, even though it still indicated to be in 2wheel until I changed it.

Maybe something with the rear diff? I hope its not the tranny..... This is the second time its done this. After filling up and driving home and then back out on the highway about 20 miles its not doing it anymore. Put for like 5 minutes there was definately something wrong.
Old January 5th, 2011, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Silverado, problem after problem.

I have had something similar with my 05 silverado. When I will take off or go up a hill every now and then (but not often). It will drag like I'm towing a trailer or something then all of a sudden it shifts and takes off like normal. I had this ever since I bought it brand new but it is very infrequent so I've just gone on as I haven't had any troubles with the way it runs and drives to speak of and now have 93,000 miles on it.
Old January 5th, 2011, 8:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since Ive posted this ive tried to ration with myself saying maybe it was just a simple little thing and im blowing it out of proportion. But nah, something was definately/seriously wrong that night, and then turned off and filled up with gas and took of and no symptoms since.

On a side note..... How do these 05's respond when they are running out of gas? I wonder if (since we had pushed it to its limits on gas that night) it was actually running out of gas.... but ive never seen a vehicle respond like this when running out of gas.... sheesh. Guess ill keep loosing sleep over it.
Old January 6th, 2011, 2:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds too me you were running out of gas... As far as the other issues you were having sounds like the previous owner didn't take good care of it. I love my 04 2500 6.0!!! There are issues once in a while but its expected in a vehicle with 80k miles. The only thing so far i did was a water pump, new batt and alt. Runs like a champ.