Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

fungus on side molding?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fungus on side molding?

hey all - !

my first post... and btw, this is a great place y'all have here. i have an '04 Z71 in the very lovely gold color, it is a stunning piece of art. however, i have some sort of fungus growing on my side moldings (the plastic strips)... worse on the starboard side.

it looks like rust, but can't be no rust on plastic... ??? anyway, i am not winning the battle and am thinking about just removing the molding and buffing out the sticky stuff underneath. anyone got any idea what is causing the funk? and has anyone tried running their Z71 bare sided? i got a feeling it might looks nice...?

thx/ old surfer
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fungus on side molding?

Damn the only way I know how to kill mold is bleach. That would be risky but you could try it in a discrete area first.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

surfsup, welcome to the forum!!!
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:29 PM
CF Junior Member

one of my good friends took the moldings off of his Z-71 and it looks sweet. im getting ready to do that to mine
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Don't know why you would be having a mold, or algae, issue unless moisture is trapped there for some reason, supporting growth.

To remove it,if you can get at it, try mixing a 50/50 combo of water and household bleach. Spray it on or pour it on the area your concerned about.... wait 5 minutes and hit it with a high pressure hose stream of water... like from a garden hose. You may need a brush as well if you can get at this supposed growth. Sounds like something is not draining, but in all the years of owning cars I never had this problem. The problem of actual RUST is a whole nother thing. Sounds like you have a corrosion issue, not a growth issue, but without seeing it I wouldn't know. Also, plastic or not, mold will grow. It grows on my vinyl fence all the time, as well as trees, stone, just about any surface that faces north (ie in the shade). Mold doesn't like direct sunlight, apparently.
Old May 7th, 2008, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the welcomes and good advise (and stabs at)...

i've tried bleach several times and in varying strengths, but ti doesn't help. this fungus seems to be embedded in the plastic. it really does look like rust, but i've never seen plastic rust and the body panels are pristine.

oh well... they are coming off... is this a job i can do, or best left for a body shop?

thx/ old surfer
Old May 7th, 2008, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: silveradolt1

one of my good friends took the moldings off of his Z-71 and it looks sweet. im getting ready to do that to mine
i'm thinking... it'll look awesome!
Old July 13th, 2008, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

I had this same problem with my '04 and the dealer replaced them under warranty. This was last year and I recall reading a TSP or something on the problem. If you complain enough, you might get the same thing.
Old July 13th, 2008, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

the fungal side molding ishistory- had a friend who owns a body shop remove it and remove the sticky stuff - took all of about 40 minutes - $20.

looks better without it - so i ain't putting it back.

but thanks for the information - good to know that it might have been covered by chevy.