Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2004 silverado electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2013, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 silverado electrical issue

Hey All, this is my first post and i'm hoping for a miracle answer...i've been seeing a strange array of electronic issues lately and i was hoping somebody could help. The past couple weeks the controls on my drivers door (windows, locks, mirror) have been intermittently working but seem to be getting progressively worse. as of maybe 2 weeks ago i was driving and all of the gauges went down to the bottom and all of the lights in the cluster went out. they came back on a minute later and the light of a car with a big lock through it came on (security maybe?). later that week i went to go start the truck and it wouldn't start, the battery was charged but it just didn't want to even attempt to start. The fix to get it running was plugging the positive terminal on the battery. once i did that it fired right up. later that day i was driving and the truck was blowing hot air on one side and cold AC on the other. I brought it into the dealership and they said that my panel in the drivers door and the actuator system in the HVAC system needed to be replaced. i disagreed in that there was no way those would have caused my truck not to start and my cluster to go out. That being said i was leaning towards an ignition switch so i replaced it myself. since replacing the ignition switch nothing major has gone wrong (not starting or gauges going out) but i think there is still something off. as of now my door controls still don't work, opening my drivers door will not activate the interior lights (passengers will), my heat/AC seems to only regulate when on the gas pedal, randomly when i unlock the door with the key the alarm will sound until the key is put in the ignition. sorry to be long and convoluted but i wanted as much detail out there as i can. As of now i'm leaning towards there being an issue with a ground. with the drivers door not triggering the lights i think there is a ground issue atleast causing issue with the controls and the interior lights. I was hoping somebody could lend some insight into whether or not this sounds logical and if so where i could/should start. I tend to think of myself as being rather handy but by no means a mechanic. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Ben
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

I have a system in my truck (3-15's) and my alternator went out and was shorting out. Cause the lights cluster to go bizzerk. But that's probably not your case
Old July 9th, 2013, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default update

just an update in that this morning when i got in the truck the lights came on with the opening of the drivers door and all of the door controls worked fine as well so it's got to be a bad connection somewhere. assuming that i'm on the right path can anybody tell me where to start looking for bad grounds etc?

Thanks again
Old November 13th, 2020, 2:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the wiring behind the dash to the instrument cluster, radio,etc. These are known to melt,burn where you can't see it without pulling the dash apart.