Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 new style body trans slips

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2007 new style body trans slips

Hello, Everyone I'm new here. I have a 2007 Silverado I tell folks its a 2008 because of the old and new style body change that year. Its a 1500 crew cab, with 64,500 mls 5.3 l. We have 3 vehicles so the Silverado sits mostly was driven on Saturdays to collage but wife that course up.lol. Ok wife drove truck yesterday to work {about 35 mls one way}and when she made a right hand turn into parking lot she felt a slip and then no movement in D. She shifted to 2 on gear shift and was able to park it. Now I have been a tech for 35 years but mainly on Honda cars at a independent shop. When she called me and told me what happened I asked here the temp of trans, she said 159 degrees, [normal]. so I went to her job and when got there trans temp was 108 degrees, started truck up and shifted into drive, nothing and tried 3rd still nothing. 2nd moved and 1st moved. So I Told her Ill drive it home since I afford a tow truck because am out of a job,[ retired turning wrenches 3yrs ago]. I started home from take off in 1st then shift manually to 2nd. When I hit 40 mph at 2500 rpm I [being noisy like all techs should be] I shifted to 3rd and was moving [slight slip if press to hard on gas] got to 50 tried D and worked but again slipping if gas pressed to hard. Drove 60mph on cruise all the way home with trans temp fluctuating between 109 at cruise and 122 at take off. At stops had to put it in 1st to go. Yes slight slip if gas pressed hard. Now being a Honda tech and did Honda trans we had clutch packs in the trans that acted that way when seals were going bad. Don't know how this trans is put together but acts same way. Sorry post so long but I like to give as much info as I can for help, Crazy 64000 mls and 6 yrs. old this happened with NO warning. Think Chevy would cover this under warranty.
In advance I want to thank everyone who applies for the help.

Last edited by papooh44; November 28th, 2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: also forgot to mention is we had onstar run a diagnostic check and it came back all working good.
Old November 29th, 2013, 5:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the oil level hot in neutral or park. Note the color; pink or brown. Then pull the codes and see what you've got.

If it's slipping, it's slipping and probably needs to come down out of there.

Allan
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Allen; I did check oil in park hot and it was between the hot and cold and pink. I will dig out scanner and check. I thought onstar would be able to see if theres a code that may not show on scanner. thank and I will double check my findings but most likely agree it has to come out.
Old November 29th, 2013, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Keep us posted of the outcome. I have the same truck except a standard cab, and it makes strange noises when shifting into 2nd. but only sometimes. I'm interested to see how your situation plays out.
Old November 30th, 2013, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Poncho_villa I will. I took it to the dealer yesterday because the service adviser has gotten to know the wife since we have taken truck back the last 2 yrs. They mentioned something like a clip that might have broken off, but I wasn't standing there. There looking at it Monday and told them to take their time [because it's driven about 8000 mls a yr]. Wife got dealer ship to commit getting 50 percent goodwill or more.
Old November 30th, 2013, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tranny

I have a 2007 Tahoe with 72k miles on it and it is on it's 3rd transmission. First one went out ant 59k miles, second one at 66k, now on third. the first one went out as I driving, the rpm jumped up to around 7 or 8k, then appeared go back to normal. The first time I came to a stop, the vehicle would not move in D or 3 but would in first manual shift up to second then on.

The second time, as I was pulling my bass boat up on ramp to get on interstate, vehicle would not shift out of second. had to drive rest of way back in second and have another vehicle meet me to pull boat back. Trans temp got up to 260 degrees.

Scared to go anywhere pulling boat unless it's flat, engine 5.7 v8 with towing package and I use the tow mode when pulling
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

dealer says the sprag in trans went out. there pulling trany weds.