Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2013, 6:39 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to just dropped my 08 Avalanche due to what sounded like a lifter issue or even a flex plate. As it turned out it is the lifters and camshaft, I only have 73000 miles on my avalanche. I have been driving Chevy since my first 67 Chevelle and have had good luck. My last avalanche was an 04, I traded it with 165000 mikes and never even had to change the brakes. So I called the dealer this morning to check on my 60/100000 mile power train, guess what, it expired yesterday. Well I had my avalanche towed to the dealer, didn't want to do any further damage. This afternoon I got the news about the lifters and cam, $5,000.00, Gm said they would honor the warranty, I had to pat $250.00 for the rebuild. I wasn't offered an option of a new engine, I would have rather done that, it would have made me feel a little more comfortable but, I am happy I don't have to foot the whole bill. Dealer said I should have it back on Thursday.
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Hey Guys, I am new to the site but a chevy owner for 40 years. My 2009 Silverado is in the shop right now for 3 days with the same problem. I am not getting a new engine but the camshaft and lifters and whatever else. Funny thing a few months ago I got a letter from GM extending my protection warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles for a general non specific problem. They mention the multifunction light, throttle position sensor, reduced engine power & running rough. They also mention it is not a recall but to check your truck for any problems with your V8 engine and go to your dealer if you notice this condition. Also to keep this letter until the future when you hit the 10 year, 120K miles.

Luckily this happened at 47K for me so it is still under the regular powertrain warranty (till 50K, I think). Needless to say I am keeping this letter in my files for any post 50K problems. The other day when it happened I was traveling about 60mph on Route 295 in NJ. Good thing I live pretty close to 295!
Old April 25th, 2013, 2:10 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If you can get some pictures of the parts they take out or better yet ask for them back...would really like to see and understand what is failing and what the lifters and cam look like.
Old April 26th, 2013, 1:16 AM
CF Beginner

I have 2010 with 42000 miles. In shop getting new rings and pistons.
Maybe other stuff. I have posted on other thread with photos of plugs.

I got the letter also a few months ago about the warranty and just a few weeks later it hit. CEL on and truck will not run over 20 miles per hour.
I was just driving and it hits without warning.

I did notice the idle at a redlight will waver up and down a few days before. So if you are at idle and notice idle speeds going up and down a then be ready for it to fail in a few weeks.

Its the TPS- Throttle Postion Sensor.

Does your truck have the 100000 mile PT warranty ? Or did that start in 2010? Does it burn oil?

If not 5 years covered for 100000 miles, based on other post I would say buy a GM warranty to extend the warranty out as long as possible.
Thats just my thoughts. I think you may be in for more problems with the AFM engine with the cam and lifters. If using oil the Rings and Pistons will be be bad also before 100k miles.

Other people are not seeming to having so much problems. But there are a few bad engines out there. Lots of post about trouble free engines but seems like 5% of the AFM 5.3L engines have 98% of the problems. Looks like we both have the bad ones.

Originally Posted by drjjpdc
Hey Guys, I am new to the site but a chevy owner for 40 years. My 2009 Silverado is in the shop right now for 3 days with the same problem. I am not getting a new engine but the camshaft and lifters and whatever else. Funny thing a few months ago I got a letter from GM extending my protection warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles for a general non specific problem. They mention the multifunction light, throttle position sensor, reduced engine power & running rough. They also mention it is not a recall but to check your truck for any problems with your V8 engine and go to your dealer if you notice this condition. Also to keep this letter until the future when you hit the 10 year, 120K miles.

Luckily this happened at 47K for me so it is still under the regular powertrain warranty (till 50K, I think). Needless to say I am keeping this letter in my files for any post 50K problems. The other day when it happened I was traveling about 60mph on Route 295 in NJ. Good thing I live pretty close to 295!

Last edited by MRIBOB; April 26th, 2013 at 1:20 AM.
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Bob, I had the 50K-100K PT warranty. I guess the letter bumps it up to 60K/120K.

in2pro, I'll try to rember about the parts. From what the manager told me it seems the throttle is screwing up which causes problems keeping everything in sync. With the cam not moving properly the valves and lifters don't either and the parts overheat causing a kind of shuydown. That's how it sounded to me. Any mechanics that could explain it better, I'd love to hear it! .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................
Old April 30th, 2013, 1:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by drjjpdc
Bob, I had the 50K-100K PT warranty. I guess the letter bumps it up to 60K/120K.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................

Check the letter again. If it is the same one I have it only means the the 1 part- "Throttel postion sensor" TPS is covered for 10 years 120k miles.

The reason is when they fail the truck stops on the road creating a hazzard. So the NHTSA is involved so GM needs to pay for the part if it fails. I guess it must have a higher then normal failure rate. It does not mean you have longer PT warranty. It is for 1 part only.
Old April 30th, 2013, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I got my truck back yesterday. They replaced the camshaft, 16 lifters, manifold, belt, gaskets, nuts and bolts. Of course fluids like oil, coolant, etc. No prices because it was all warranty repair. 20 hours total labor (17.5 tech and about 2.5 diagnosis).

Now the letter does mention the TPS, but from reading around different sites all these sensors affect each other and the MFL too which also is involved with the ECM. Now it seems to be limited to the 5300 5.7 V8 AFI engine. But other folks with this problem also had a cylinder 6 problem. They also listed mine as a # 6 cylinder fuel management failure.

I may not be a mechanic but I am a doctor and I know a bit about logic. Differential diagnosis isn't all that different from solving car problems. Something is not smelling right here. Too many different systems/sensors are having similar problems.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Had the same problem with my 2005 crew cab. Took the truck into the dealer I bought it from and he said the camshaft was bad. Quoted 42is00 to replace camshaft so I traded on a new 2013. Only 85269 miles on the 8 year old truck which I had babied for the 5 years I owned it with oil changes every 3000 miles. Love the new silverado but at times...still sick on my stomach over the whole mess. From reading the threads at least I know now it was nothing I did to cause this.
Old July 4th, 2013, 4:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Another 2008 Chevy 5.3 Lifter failure

My 2008 Silverado LS with 5.3 just developed the same problem with the lifters. I brought the truck into Jeff Gordon Chevrolet in NC and they informed me that the truck needs new lifters and a camshaft @ 18 hours labor plus parts, so $3000.00 to repair. I declined. It has 137K and they remarked how clean the oil was. I felt sick to my stomach as I live in NJ and was 600 miles form home. I made it back home and now I'm stuck. Local garages don't want to touch it. Rossi Chevrolet offered 5K on a trade for a new truck and said "I'm taking a chance on it". I could not find a new long block or I would buy one and install it. I know it is out of warranty so why bother calling and speaking to a CS person, waste of time IMO. Smith Ford will give me 5K on a trade in (new F250) so I think this is the way to go, I'll never buy another GM product, if this is what I can expect.
Old July 5th, 2013, 5:05 AM
CF Beginner

Karl,

I'm so pissed off with you!!!! Chevy should be ashamed of themselves for not taking care of their customers. This issue should be a recall but since it usually happens after the warranty is up they are taking a chance. I think I'm going to contact my attorney to see about doing a class action lawsuit on this. We work to hard and in this case trust to hard to be treated like this.

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$