Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2013, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrIke
86,000 miles had to replace cam and lifters ($4600.00) buddy 56,000 miles same thing bad lifter and cam. Chevrolet quality is dropping fast
Damn. My Original 3 door 2000 Chevy Silverado LS extended cab 5.3L is still going strong on the engine side. Performed the usual maintenance with some smog device issues until recently @ 170,000 the Transmission clunks, water pump went out, but that is really about it.

The engine in my 2000 feels so much stronger than my 09. I will find out just how severe things are on my 09 by weeks end and what they final decision is when I talk to the service manager regarding my concerns.
Old December 31st, 2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Without sounding like I am defending GM and the issues with the AFM,
Know that these technologies are needed to meet government MPG requirements...
The AFM can give you up to 8% better MPG but still allows you to have the HP and torque of a large V8 when needed.... its new tech so its going to have its pitfalls...
Old December 31st, 2013, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. "its new tech so its going to have its pitfalls"... __________________
ANSWER:
Sounds nice but not like your going to pull out Your check book and pay to fix it and cover all our losses and trouble. Seems like the 400lb guy drinking beer each week yelling at the NFL QB how to throw the ball.

2. NOW BACK TO THE OTHER POST.
You in CA this week with the blown engine. No problem if your under warranty.
Post if you have any problems. CALL Jan 2 the GM CAP line and file a case to get some help.

You will get fixed someday. Been down this road before. It will get taken care in time. Service managers do not seem to last very long these a days. Dime a dozen. Always on the move. If you get any guff about oil just walk away post and call GM.

FYI It is about a $6000 repair and a week or so to get back. Very well documented and common problem on this engine.

3. These trucks are dumping oil and the engine has Oil low light. My truck 2010 had 30K miles and 3000 since last oil change and it was 4 qs low. Service manager should have just been informing you that there is problem. IN NO WAY IS IT YOUR FAULT.
IF HE TRIES TO SAY OTHERWISE KNOW THIS:
Now don't fear the service manager!. - BUT YOU COULD HAVE A BAD ONE but they have a weakness.

They are afraid of just one thing. That is the EDD.

Here goes a rant about bad car service people-

Just FYI In CA just try to get EDD unemployoment or SDI benefits. Takes a call to Senators and Gov Brown. Anyone who has been sick or lost a job knows the pain of dealing with the state.

I have yet to see same managers or service writers stay longer then 18 months. I asked once the drivers who takes me home why do so many writers leave. They just laugh and can't talk about it. ---- Must be a arm pit to work at a dealer.-- Some service guys are very good. Some are dumb. Some are evil liars. Some laugh about robbing old widow ladies and making $1000 repairs for nothing or changing a spark plug wire.

( They get there pay in life) One day they are seen laughing about the $1200 charge for a bad spark plug wire on a 75 year old windows car. Nice pay check for them. Yet we don't laugh when the same fellow now is living in long term care hospital with stroke and tongue handing out of mouth like Q. All he can say is AGUUAAA.
I seen quite a few of all of them.

4. What does this rant have to do with this post.

Nothing except that God does repay evil deeds and car dealers are in a unique position to strain the laws of honesty. Some do good but it seems many go the way of the weak and fail. If you fell into thieves then try to cut your loss and get out of that place.

5. So get your engine fixed , Call GM CAP if needed. POST A UPDATE, I trust you will not have a problem as even though I have seen some STUFF and THINGS in my day. With my 2010 Chev 5.3 I was treated rather fair. It did take changing too other dealers to really get it fixed but in the end I was treated very good and fair. So GM did make things right with me.

Not any more problems since new engine in my truck. So good things do happen.

I would try to get a new create engine from GM on your truck. It will 5Y 100k mile warranty. But that may be a battle. But make sure the engine they give you has warranty. If they rebuild it it will be good or fail in a year.

Last edited by MRIBOB; January 2nd, 2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old January 5th, 2014, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRIBOB
1. "its new tech so its going to have its pitfalls"... __________________
ANSWER:
Sounds nice but not like your going to pull out Your check book and pay to fix it and cover all our losses and trouble. Seems like the 400lb guy drinking beer each week yelling at the NFL QB how to throw the ball.

2. NOW BACK TO THE OTHER POST.
You in CA this week with the blown engine. No problem if your under warranty.
Post if you have any problems. CALL Jan 2 the GM CAP line and file a case to get some help.

You will get fixed someday. Been down this road before. It will get taken care in time. Service managers do not seem to last very long these a days. Dime a dozen. Always on the move. If you get any guff about oil just walk away post and call GM.

FYI It is about a $6000 repair and a week or so to get back. Very well documented and common problem on this engine.

3. These trucks are dumping oil and the engine has Oil low light. My truck 2010 had 30K miles and 3000 since last oil change and it was 4 qs low. Service manager should have just been informing you that there is problem. IN NO WAY IS IT YOUR FAULT.
IF HE TRIES TO SAY OTHERWISE KNOW THIS:
Now don't fear the service manager!. - BUT YOU COULD HAVE A BAD ONE but they have a weakness.

They are afraid of just one thing. That is the EDD.

Here goes a rant about bad car service people-

Just FYI In CA just try to get EDD unemployoment or SDI benefits. Takes a call to Senators and Gov Brown. Anyone who has been sick or lost a job knows the pain of dealing with the state.

I have yet to see same managers or service writers stay longer then 18 months. I asked once the drivers who takes me home why do so many writers leave. They just laugh and can't talk about it. ---- Must be a arm pit to work at a dealer.-- Some service guys are very good. Some are dumb. Some are evil liars. Some laugh about robbing old widow ladies and making $1000 repairs for nothing or changing a spark plug wire.

( They get there pay in life) One day they are seen laughing about the $1200 charge for a bad spark plug wire on a 75 year old windows car. Nice pay check for them. Yet we don't laugh when the same fellow now is living in long term care hospital with stroke and tongue handing out of mouth like Q. All he can say is AGUUAAA.
I seen quite a few of all of them.

4. What does this rant have to do with this post.

Nothing except that God does repay evil deeds and car dealers are in a unique position to strain the laws of honesty. Some do good but it seems many go the way of the weak and fail. If you fell into thieves then try to cut your loss and get out of that place.

5. So get your engine fixed , Call GM CAP if needed. POST A UPDATE, I trust you will not have a problem as even though I have seen some STUFF and THINGS in my day. With my 2010 Chev 5.3 I was treated rather fair. It did take changing too other dealers to really get it fixed but in the end I was treated very good and fair. So GM did make things right with me.

Not any more problems since new engine in my truck. So good things do happen.

I would try to get a new create engine from GM on your truck. It will 5Y 100k mile warranty. But that may be a battle. But make sure the engine they give you has warranty. If they rebuild it it will be good or fail in a year.

Yeah thanks for the info and I know exactly what you are getting at. I remember when I was young in the 80's and early 90's I had to fight tooth and nail to get something fixed by the dealer sometimes.

Most service guys were mechanics as well or thought they were, and until I could find one who I could relate with and was cool about taking care of me the customer it was more helpful.

Now about getting a crate engine; well thats not happening and Chevy is only telling me bits of info regarding my issue. I called Saturday and was told that the dealer was waiting for parts; I asked what parts; service adviser umm not sure. Yeah right just tell me WTF is going on and what parts are being ordered. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to charge me for new plugs or maybe they are to cheap to change them out.

Anyways the bottom line is my engine is being selectively repaired which bothers me. When technicians go threw the engine it is very possible the items not being replaced will have issues later on and or something will be over looked. I see people saying they had to get their engines repaired on the internet and at another 20k in mileage they are having similar problems again.

I will report back and list my full repair sheet when I get my truck back. Its been in the dealer shop since the 28th of December.
Old January 6th, 2014, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Here is my suggestion because it has worked twice for me. Send some letters to half dozen executive VP's of Chevrolet that have to do with customer service, mechanical service for the USA. I have been a Chevrolet customer for 40 years. Every car or truck I have ever owned has been a Chevy or GM.

These guys HATE getting complaint letters from customers. They will dish them off to a junior exec or assistant faster than you can say hot potato! I did this with my truck and after they fixed it, I got a letter to use in the future with a few signatures and titles listing every part that my dealer replaced. I have the original and if any other repairs are needed, I bring the letter to a dealer, he faxes it to the regional offices and my truck gets those repairs again if needed.

I had a computer crash a while ago and I lost who I wrote to. Make sure you CC names at the bottom so everybody knows who you wrote to. Go online and look up chevrolet executive officers and mention this forum even. Copy a few posts and include them as well. Good Luck.

BTW I did the same thing with a Chevy Blazer my wife had where the tranny died 2-3000 miles after the warranty. They tried to say I did not do any Tranny service, but I pointed out in the manual at the time, there was no tranny service or changing of fluids UNTIL 50K miles! So how was I to blame when I followed their own service guidelines and how can you do service before it is needed? Yes I got a refund on the tranny replacement.

John
Old January 10th, 2014, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Well! I don't get on here often, guess I should have tho.

I have an 06 Silverado, 5.3, bought used 2 years ago, app. 120k miles. At around 137k miles, this past summer, heard a squeal going on, thought it was a belt. NO! Lifters! Possible cam! Got a mechanic to fix the problem which turned out to be the lifters only, a good thing! GM parts were too high so I bought Comp Cams lifters. From what I read here I'm glad I didn't buy GM parts and I know the CC parts may fail also, we'll see.

Changed oil at every 3k miles with Castrol 5w-30 since I bought it, never had to add any. After the rebuild and $$$$ later I switched to Mobil1 10w-30 Syn. thinking the oil may have been the problem. GUESS NOT!!!

I'm to the point I don't trust the truck anymore and every little noise I hear throws a flag! PLUS, I hear people getting 18-22 mpg in their trucks same as mine. I have never gotten more than 16.5 on a trip. I do drive a little fast but I don't abuse it and don't pull anything. I checked the mileage yesterday and got 12.7! I have gotten better than that in my 77 Vette, 350 4bbl, low gear rear end.

I've had Chevrolets all my life, my first was a new 71 Nova. A 73 454 Monte Carlo that would get 19 mpg on a trip, 77 Monte Carlo, 77 Vette, 2000 Vette (21 to 29 mpg's), 2 Lumina's, '90 S10 Blazer, a Celebrity, and several more I can't remember. NEVER had problems or gas mileage like I've had with this truck!!!

Anyway! What to do????? Trade for another Chevrolet, or something else before the engine crashes again or breaks me buying gas???

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!
Old January 10th, 2014, 3:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I think if you have done the rebuild you are probably good for another 100k miles before the failure rears its head again...(hopefully)
You need to take into consideration what your truck is configured for.. the rear end ratio is going to impact the mileage, also this colder weather is going to take its toll if you spend any time idling the vehicle to warm it up, as long as the engine is running, moving or not, its impacting MPG....

A tune up and an injection system cleaning may help with those numbers also...
Old January 10th, 2014, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
I think if you have done the rebuild you are probably good for another 100k miles before the failure rears its head again...(hopefully)
You need to take into consideration what your truck is configured for.. the rear end ratio is going to impact the mileage, also this colder weather is going to take its toll if you spend any time idling the vehicle to warm it up, as long as the engine is running, moving or not, its impacting MPG....

A tune up and an injection system cleaning may help with those numbers also...
I forgot to add that I have changed plugs and wires, AC and GM. Got worse since then and the rebuild.

And I add Chevron Techron to the gas every other oil change.

Thanks!
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

I just experienced the SAME issue as the person who started this thread:
the check engine comes on
truck runs rough (hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear)
acts like it has a serious miss and receive the messages:
Service Stabilitrac & Traction Control.

My truck is a 2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3 L AFM with only 69,000 miles. I noticed I was burning 1 qt. of oil every 2000 miles or so at around 25,000 miles of owning the truck. I also took the truck in for an issue where I'd lose oil pressure and would have to shut the engine down for a few minutes and then restart. I started off with conventional oil, but started using synthetic when I started having these issues.

I took the truck in for the oil consumption issue back in 2009, but they told me that it was within's GM's standards.

The truck is at the dealer now and they've told me that I need a new camshaft and lifters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:30 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> GhostZ71,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Please keep us post about the results of your dealer visit.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service
so have any of these customer service people ever done anything to actually help with a problem??

I change my oil every 5000 miles - I use a AC Delco oil filter and Mobile One full synthetic

Last edited by Pugly; March 13th, 2014 at 12:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$