Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 27th, 2015, 3:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

4 wheel drive problems please help

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2010, 12:36 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

common sense says...what? why use 4wd if u dont need it? 4wd is for snow, or if you are stuck
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah id be worried about the transfer case and i dont know how strong they make the front drive shafts, its overall just not a good thing
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

i am haveing the same problem with my 2002 silverado Z71.trying find out problem.tires are good,started this when i was on a hunting trip.it had been snowing out,about 10 inches.put it in 4hi and under accelaration it would start to howel,the faster the louder it would get.also turning left or right and not sharp ,it would bind and slow the truck down.sounds like the same problem as yours.when i find out what the fix is i will let you know.i was thinking maybe cv joints ?
Old January 15th, 2011, 7:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fish4bass
i am haveing the same problem with my 2002 silverado Z71.trying find out problem.tires are good,started this when i was on a hunting trip.it had been snowing out,about 10 inches.put it in 4hi and under accelaration it would start to howel,the faster the louder it would get.also turning left or right and not sharp ,it would bind and slow the truck down.sounds like the same problem as yours.when i find out what the fix is i will let you know.i was thinking maybe cv joints ?
there is no fix for the howl.. it will always do that. its just everything moving makeing it howl..the front drive shaft..transfer case..front diff.. as for the bind.. all 4x4s will do that.. like my 95..it starts making some cheeking noise's and stuff when i turn in 4x4.. i's alays done that tho..
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:00 AM
CF Pro Member

u gotta think of all the stuff spinning when u are in 4wd on the highway, i use it on the highway but only in extreme blizzard conditions, and NEVER USE IT if driving on pavement in dry conditions. when turning sharp, the outside tire travels a further distance than the inside one, when the diff and t-case are locked it tries to stop this from happening and the tires work against eachother....something has to give and the tires usually do...and eventually u WILL break something if u do this all the time
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

I agree with the fact that running on dry pavement will not damage your trans, transfer case, diffs, etc (based on manufacturer suggestions and professional oppinions). Here in Virginia we got little rain and less snow this winter making it hard to "exercize" the 4wd components this year. With that said, I have a similar problem with my 2005 k1500.

I am unable to make low speed turns without rubbing and grinding while in 4H which I have never experienced until this week. It seems as though the truck is being held back like the parking brake is on.

Also, I am having difficulty shifting into the 4WD neutral position and 4L. The turning, grinding and hessitation is even worse in 4L. Has anyone ever experienced this and had it diagnosed? Also I had a hard time shifting back into 2H. I have had this truck for 7 years and have never experienced this with 4WD.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:53 PM
CF Senior Member

yes DO NOT drive on dry concrete or even dirt really in 4 wheel drive, if so your asking for trouble, that is a ton of stress on the front and transfer case. Use it when your front tires have a lot of give like in mud or something slippery. Thats what its meant for nothing else unless you need to pull something in a straight line on something dry like a boat out of a launch or pulling someone from the street.
Old December 17th, 2014, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Wondering if anybody can help on this same topic. Mines a 2006 1500 Silv. VMAX. The only difference is mine will shift into 4 L or 4 H on its own or try to while im going down the road. When it tries to do it the truck bucks, dips, dives, and whines and I have to stop the truck go through 4L, 4H, and 2wd until it releases the pressure. Only time I use 4wd is offroad, (pastures) and that is far and few between. Only thing I can figure is a solenoid is try to actuate but I don't know which one or there is a short in the dash selector. Any ideas
Old January 29th, 2015, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

im having issues with my 2007 silverado. i tried putting it into 4 low today and cant get it out. i havent tried it in a long time, and it took a while to engage. the thing is, it hasent engaged the front wheels at all. just the low gearing. the dial shows it in 4 low and does not respond to any selected drive. it doesn't flash or have any recognition of input.
has anyone else encountered this problem? i cant find anything about it online my searches are swamped with complaints about the 4wd selector in the dash failing.
thanks in advance
kevin