Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 gmc 1500 4wd automatic to manual 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2013, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 93 gmc 1500 4wd automatic to manual 5 speed swap

I have been working on this swap for a couple weeks now. My biggest issues at the time was making the clutch pedal bracket fit and install. What i found out is that im guessing at the factory gm welded a bracket behind the dash to support the pedal. I just made my own bracket with the dash still installed, all i did was have the steering column out. The cut outs for the floor shifter and master were there. Very easy on that part. I did not have to change my front or rear drive shafts but the transfer case is different. The output shaft on the automatic is smalller then the manual. Anyhow my problem i ran into now is that at idle the truck runs a little ruff. Im thinking its because the pcm is not reading the transmission anymore. Is there anyway to trick the pcm that it is in park or neutral with out changing it out to a manual pcm. Everything else works speedo, reverse lights , and no check engine lights or anything like that. It still runs very well i took it on a 10 mile test run and it pulls hard and will blow the tires right off it. So any help on that would be cool and id be happy to answer any questions in detail on what was all involved in the swap.
The following users liked this post:
ravenwolf69 (November 24th, 2021)
Old April 20th, 2020, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I’m also doing the same

I am curious as to which year trans you used and what you did with the old Wires from automatic transmission
Old April 21st, 2020, 9:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I did the same in a 92, I don't think your issue has anything to do with the trans swap. Also though it's too late now, what you needed to get to make the swap easy was a pedal set from a manual truck, the clutch/brake pedal set would have just bolted in replacement of the automatic brake petal.
Old May 17th, 2020, 5:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swappedmy auto trans for a 5 speed. I have a 93 k1500 that has a tbi 350. It had a 4l60e until i got sick of changing that pos out so i bought a parts truck a 95 k2500 with a 5.7tbi and a fancy NV4500 5 sp manual [yee-haw]. I did the swap without too many bumps bruises or trips to autozone. Now thetruck is a real beast fun to drive and performs well but it idles high and theres a slight intermittent miss at idle. I did not swap the ecu because i couldnt the plugs are waydifferent and im not willing to change out the entire harness. As far as the old tranny plug goes. Black tape and zipties fixed it up just fine.
The following users liked this post:
ravenwolf69 (November 24th, 2021)
Old November 9th, 2020, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default H e l p

Originally Posted by Dick Gilmore
I swappedmy auto trans for a 5 speed. I have a 93 k1500 that has a tbi 350. It had a 4l60e until i got sick of changing that pos out so i bought a parts truck a 95 k2500 with a 5.7tbi and a fancy NV4500 5 sp manual [yee-haw]. I did the swap without too many bumps bruises or trips to autozone. Now thetruck is a real beast fun to drive and performs well but it idles high and theres a slight intermittent miss at idle. I did not swap the ecu because i couldnt the plugs are waydifferent and im not willing to change out the entire harness. As far as the old tranny plug goes. Black tape and zipties fixed it up just fine.
Good Afternoon, Dick!

I have a 92’ single cab short bed Silverado 5.7 tbi 2wd that I bought as a youngin after working a whole summer. That was a few years ago. The truck still runs well, but it’s an automatic. I’m looking to swap my transmission out just like you did (soley for something fun to drive on the weekends) please shoot me a text because I will be doing the swap on my own with a help of a buddy and it would be my first time doing it. I’d really appreciate being able to ask questions, especially asking someone who has experience!

My cell is (469)-740-2320

Thanks in advance brother
Old July 24th, 2021, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Did you have to change any wiring for the trans I swapped mine from a 700r4 to a nv4500 and the speedometer no longer works