Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 Tachometer Install

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2013, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Tachometer Install

My temp gauge quit working so I got a sending unit. That didn't fix it so I went to a wrecking yard where I might be able to find an instrument cluster.
I found one with a tachometer. Mine didn't come with a tach. I was wondering if it was possible to replace this cluster with tach, with my no tach cluster.
Does anybody know if I have to wire for the tach or is it just not worth the trouble. There are several in the yard with no tach. Before I buy one I thought I would check here first. I pull a boat so a tach would be really helpful.
Thanks for the help
Tony
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ColoradoSilverado
My temp gauge quit working so I got a sending unit. That didn't fix it so I went to a wrecking yard where I might be able to find an instrument cluster.
I found one with a tachometer. Mine didn't come with a tach. I was wondering if it was possible to replace this cluster with tach, with my no tach cluster.
Does anybody know if I have to wire for the tach or is it just not worth the trouble. There are several in the yard with no tach. Before I buy one I thought I would check here first. I pull a boat so a tach would be really helpful.
Thanks for the help
Tony
I'm not sure if the wiring harness in yours would have wires for a tach, I can't imagine it would be hard to run one tho. I just put a aftermarket one in recycled from a my old old suburban... I just hooked into the marked tach lead off the distributor and ran it in the cab.
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tacho

I went ahead and bought the cluster with a tach. I found the best one I could and this one had only 99k miles on it. The lenz was all scratched up though so I used my original lenz but I had to drill a hole in it to accommodate for the trip meter ****. In this picture you can see the hole where the **** came through for the non tach cluster.
Believe it or not, It plugged into place and everything worked. Even all the lights worked. The only thing in question is the tach indicating a very low RPM when idling in drive. It reads 200 RPM but I know it's more than that. Could it be a tired tach?
In this picture, the engine is off.
Thanks again for the help.
Tony