Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96 1500 5.7 not starting... not fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2011, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 1500 5.7 not starting... not fuel pump

Hello,

I have a 96 Silverado 1500 5.7 2wd that has been starting hard and finally will not start anymore.

First noticed the problem where it would take a little longer cranking before starting. This time kept increasing until it finally would not start. If you turned the key off then back on it would usually fire up.

Got to the point where this would not work. Not having time to address it right away if you squirted a little starting fluid into the intake it would start and run fine. This worked for about a week then one morning after the above process at a stop light it just quit. Got it going again but quit after a few minutes. Got it going again, would run but when you accelerate above idle engine would start to cut out and missed and occasionally backfire.

I dropped the tank and put in a new fuel pump thinking this was the problem. After installation the truck would not start. The grey wire to the has power for 2 sec after the key is turned on then nothing.

I also changed the fuel pump relay.

I ran a ground from the ground coming out of the tank to the battery with no luck in starting.

What did work was to jumper the grey for the pump and the ground coming out of the tank to the battery charger. The truck starts and runs fine with continuous current to the pump.

Question is what would be causing the lose of power to the pump with it hooked into the trucks wire harness?

Thanks
Old May 17th, 2011, 2:43 PM
CF Senior Member

is there a signal going the fuel pump relay to cycle it,bad ground,theres a fuel pump/oil pressure switch maybe has something to do with that

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old May 17th, 2011, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Shamrock. Found it. It was a bad ground on the wire that runs from the tank. Cleaned up the top of the frame rail where it connects and fired up. Guess my ground to the battery was not sufficient.