Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'97 silverado headlight aiming

Old May 13th, 2010, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 silverado headlight aiming

Hi folks,

I noticed when driving at night that my left low beam seems high and right more than the right side. The right side seems to be exactly where it should be. Interestingly, the high beams seem to be pretty close to where they should be, which isn't really sensible, so I want to try adjusting them a bit. But how????????????

I found two long skinny vertical rods with 5mm hex heads sticking up through the rad support. They will back right out, but don't seem to affect the adjustment. Can somebody fill me in on how to do this, please?

While we're at it, how do I get the headlights out to change the bulbs when the time comes - or can I do that without taking the assemblies out?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old May 14th, 2010, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Hello again folks,

I wonder if anybody has a service manual for a 1992(?)- 1999(?) model with the composite headlights. If so, would it be possible to post a scan of the adjustment page somewhere (photobucket, imageshack, etc.)? Or, is there a site where one could download a manual?

Thanks guys,
Glenn

Last edited by slovcan; May 14th, 2010 at 1:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:23 AM
CF Beginner

to change your head light bulbs, you should be able to unscrew the hex and they should slid outwards on a swivel pin on that is loacted on the outer side of each light (therefore left light should turn counter-clockwise and right clock-wise)
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by APCT91
to change your head light bulbs, you should be able to unscrew the hex and they should slid outwards on a swivel pin on that is loacted on the outer side of each light (therefore left light should turn counter-clockwise and right clock-wise)

Thank you very much for the info. That's what I was looking for. I think I might have found out how to aim them, too. I'll see tomorrow.
Old May 15th, 2010, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Snafu

Well, SNAFU again. I took the headlight out for a look. I sprayed penetrating lubricant on the threads of the adjuster screws everywhere they were disappearing into the adjuster gearcases. I let it sit, but not long enough - not enough patience. I gave the adjusters a go with the headlight out so I had good access to watch what was happening starting with the drivers side that was out of adjustment. Really hard to turn the screws and I pretty sure the gears are stripped. Can these gear assemblies be replaced with new (I see screws holding them onto the headlight housings) or am I better off replacing the headlight assemblies? I see they are on eBay, but I don't know if the adjusters are included.

Ideas anyone? Thanks.
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

The long rods are not for making aiming adjustments; you must look straight down (w/ a flaslight) through the nickle size holes located behind the headlights. You will see star head (torx) screws; these adjust the aiming. I am looking for the torx size on this forum.

Good bulbs are the Philips or Toshiba 9011 and 9012. Check http://hirheadlights.com/.

Toss the Sylvania stuff in the trash...