Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AC Compressor Cycling 1991 C1500 5.7

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2011, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compressor Cycling 1991 C1500 5.7

I have had some minor problems with my AC lately. When its working, it cools the truck down great. However, about once a week, the "A/C" light on the electronic climate control starts flashing and the compressor won't run. I have researched that problem and it says that my system is low on fluid, or, its simply malfunctioning. I have actually found a TSB that solves the problem by simply removing a sensor wire from the back of the climate control module to stop it from shutting down the compressor.

So far, the only thing I have done to fix the problem is disconnect the battery, which resets the problem I guess. This works about a week before the "A/C" light starts flashing again.

However, when the system seems to be working properly, the compressor does seem to cycle an awful lot. During idle, its almost always on, but during normal city driving, it will cycle on 3-4 seconds, shut off 4-5 seconds, and repeat.

So, I guess what I am asking is, whats normal? I know some Compressors cycle now but not sure how this truck is supposed to operate. Would like to know if the climate control module is malfunctioning or its actually correctly identifying low pressure, even though right now the truck is staying cool.