Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Being forced to sell it if we dont get the brakes fixed.

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2014, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being forced to sell it if we dont get the brakes fixed.

Hey, my names Jack. Im decent at turning wrench but just recently researching i think i psyched myself out so im here to explain and ask for my buddies 83 c10.
Long story short, his grandpa bought it new in 83 from the dealer, it takes a beating and just keeps going. 4.1 straight six, three speed on the tree converted to the floor and two wheel drive. Well he got in a wreck (truck was fine, dodge neon was totaled ^.^) parents forced him to buy a new car but are letting him keep the truck for sentimental reasons as long as he fixes it up. By my understanding this happened the other day, he was driving it home in the rain, got cut off and had to throw it in a ditch. Thats when the brakes started being squirrely. You hit the brakes and it goes right to the floor and you have to PUSH and usually itll only stop if its dry, if its wet the front end locks up. Not a very solid lock but it will slide. On the other hand if you push it down almost to the floor you can pump them (pedal is very soft) and you can feel the truck slowing down. This is very minimal and only works on level ground. Basically you cannot drive this truck going down a hill. It simply will not stop efficiently. I almost shat bricks my first time driving it when trying to get an understanding of the brakes. When the truck is off the pedal so far stays up to and firm/solid. As soon as you turn it on it goes straight to the bottom. Also previously mentioned about throwing it into a ditch, not positive thats when this happend. But my friend Bennett seems to think thats AROUND when it started. So it could have absolutely nothing to do with it. Also it has plenty of brake fluid in the reservior and doesnt seem to have any external leaks of any kind anywhere that i can see. I will start posting and searching more soon hopefully since well get to fix her up but were in crunch time since we HAVE to get this done or the trucks most likely going to the scrap yard. Also the trucks idle has not changed any which leads to believe the vacuum lines are fine. Just sounds cammed as usual lol. I appreciate this, help us keep this old girl on the streets.
Old February 13th, 2014, 3:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

welcome to the forum...
My .2 cents is install a new vacuum booster and master cylinder, bleed the brakes all the way around and I bet your problem will be solved...
Make sure none of the wheel cylinders are leaking otherwise you risk sucking air back into the system and spongy brakes....

If you have not already, the cheapest thing to do is bleed them first and see if anything gets better...
Old February 13th, 2014, 3:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with in2pro.
Old February 13th, 2014, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes we plan to start playing with it this weekend. I would tinker now and atleast bleed them but....it actually snowed here in SC and i dont have a garage so im passing on messing with it currently. Just looking for what i need to do. Heard alot of stories of swollen up / collapsed brake lines and all kinds of stuff like that. Brake booster does appear to be original though. Also just a little interesting facts. His dad has the documentation some where of the odometer rolling six times...so that leads to believe the truck has 660k miles. Things a tank.