Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bought my first truck! Check it

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2012, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought my first truck! Check it

I just picked up a this truck today i have been looking for a while and i just decided this is the one. Its a 99 z71 1500 with the 5.3 in it. It has just over 170,000 miles but seem to be running strong! I have seen these trucks over 300,000 miles IF tooken care of witch i plan to do! It has a 2 inch block and key lift on (read lift). I do have a few questions thought. I want to put fender flares on it but i want the ones where they stick on. Or if you guys have a better idea let me know. Reason why i want them is cause the paint is starting to bubble up a little bit and i wanna sand and put them over the wheel wells. I also know i have to sand/grind the rockers out and weld some metal in there then some body work needs to be done. I wanna coat the rockers with a Linex kinda deal i heard Rustoleum makes something like it but not real sure what it is or what its called. I know its a roll on witch is fine just wanna know what it is and stuff. Just wanna hear your thoughts on repairing thoughs. Thanks!Bought my first truck! Check it-jordans-chevy.jpg
Old March 7th, 2012, 7:48 PM
CF Active Member

Looks nice. I say get a set of factory flares. They should'nt be hard to find in the bone yard. If you have to do body work on it anyway why not just repair the issues? I guaranty those bubbles will come back unless properly repaired long before you get to that 300,000 miles.
Old March 9th, 2012, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

yeah i plan on repairing the bubbles but i wanna get thoughs Flares for it to help it or will they help it?
Old March 10th, 2012, 8:26 AM
CF Junior Member

I did the same thing you want to do on my 2000 Silverado. I bought cheap fender flares off ebay and they honestly fit better than bushwacker flares I had on my dodge. They just use plastic push rivets to hold them in place super easy to install. I then used a roll on truck bed coating (can't remember the brand) from the body line down under the rocker panels. Looks great! I marked all the flares on the pickup pulled them off and also put the truck bedliner under them to help ward off rust from dirt that will naturally collect behind the flares.
Old March 10th, 2012, 9:05 AM
CF Junior Member

I did the same thing you want to do on my 2000 Silverado. I bought cheap fender flares off ebay and they honestly fit better than bushwacker flares I had on my dodge. They just use plastic push rivets to hold them in place super easy to install. I then used a roll on truck bed coating (can't remember the brand) from the body line down under the rocker panels. Looks great! I marked all the flares on the pickup pulled them off and also put the truck bedliner under them to help ward off rust from dirt that will naturally collect behind the flares.