Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2013, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

Need a little help here. 2006 1500 LT, 5.3 138k miles.

Here's the short story!

Lifter stuck, had all lifters replaced with no problems except:

Left shop, engine light came on, took it back, some emission sensor. They checked one under top plastic intake cover, lose! Tightened, light off. Next day, light on, had it reset, light on next day, same code. Gas mpg has gone down, (never been too good), everybody says theirs gets a lot better than mine!!

This week: Light was on until yesterday, just went off driving down the road. Came back on today after the DIC flashed "Tighten Gas Cap"!! Hasn't been opened in over a week!! Checked it anyway! No problem. Light still on as we speak.

Any suggestions? Should I just change sensors? Which ones and where are they?? This is a PUZZLE!!!! And to the mechanics too, I guess!

Thanks in advance!!

Also, any suggestions to get better mpg??
Old September 20th, 2013, 8:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well what's the code? Can't really tell you anything without the code that it's bringin up
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hench is that the mechanic did something not right for all of sudden these various codes going off, jut too much of coincidence IMHO.

As for gas mileage, the gear ratio plays a big part of it. If you have lower ratio, you have more pulling power, but get less gas milage. BTW, what were you getting? And now? And is that city or highway?

It could be the computer boards too--if it gets out of tolerance --nothing but a nightmare chasing, when here it was the board.. But that is a very long shot that it is that.

I heard some of the brand new trucks have over 20 computer boards in them. It'll be a REAL nightmare in the future trying to figure out if a baord and then which board.