Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Silverado Radio?

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2008, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado Radio?

Hi All:

I would like to know how many here have had problems with their factory radio on their Silverados? Mine is the basic single cd player, with AM/FM

This is the 2nd time the radio has taken a CD, played it through, then failed to eject. I've tried everything I know to get this disk out. Even pulled the dash and the radio, no joy!

I guess its back to the shop again@!

Perhaps time for an aftermarket???

2005 LS, Ex Cab, 4x4, Silverado.

Thanks,

Richard
Old August 16th, 2008, 8:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Silverado Radio?

well, i think they don't like "wallmart" cd's, i mean - cheap ones. so if it happens to be one of them......

anyways, screw that. get nice aftermarket with mp3/ipod and sub capability, it's less than 200 bucks, and DIY install. then simply enjoy.
Old August 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Install a factory navigation system like i did
Old August 17th, 2008, 2:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, my CD player in my 04 got replaced under warranty, and it's on it's way out again, too. Wouldn't play,eject,etc.
It's time to install a real system...
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:53 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I'm not looking for a high priced navagation system, just a good quality AM/FM CD radio. I would love a mp3/Ipod plug in, but I certainly haven't seen one sellingfor less than $200.00.

What brand, what model, where to buy???

I never had a problem with the quality of sound from the factory radio, but this eating of CDs just doesn't cut it!!!

Thanks,

Richard
Old August 19th, 2008, 8:21 PM
CF Junior Member

The back speakers in mine seem muffled (at least from a front seat point-of-view). Also I have to turn the bass way down and the treble way up to make it sound decent. If the bass is kept at a normal level it distorts so bad can't listen to it.
Old August 20th, 2008, 4:23 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red Ron

The back speakers in mine seem muffled (at least from a front seat point-of-view). Also I have to turn the bass way down and the treble way up to make it sound decent. If the bass is kept at a normal level it distorts so bad can't listen to it.
Replace your speakers
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

for me i just replaced my head unit and now my speakers sound much better at a much higher volume. one of the best things i have done. speakers are decent but now i think my head unit has outdone them......
Old September 27th, 2009, 1:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, here's an update for my system, just prior to replacing my entire audio system, I ran a short trip to Virginia, and one of the crossovers must have caved, because my speakers BIT THE DUST.

One thing you'll need is a dataport adapter to install ANY aftermarket radio, because your ignition switch doesn't have an "accessory" station. 100$.Yeah, it hurt me too. Try to get one that doesn't have chimes which will wake the dead in Kamchatka from your driveway.

I replaced the head unit with a Clarion DUZ385SAT. It's a double-din with USB and an AUX input. Bearing in mind I prefer jammin' tunes without too much Sub punch, I got a Rockford-Fosgate amp that gives my door speakers 75 clean RMS watts per channel. I'm still going through speakers testing, but there's a lot of reasonably priced stuff out there that's much better than the factory gear.