Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold Air Kits and Throttle Body Spacers

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2013, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Kits and Throttle Body Spacers

07 Silverado 1500 NBS 5.3L
Thinking about getting a cold air kit and throttle body spacer. Any recommendations? I am looking at the aFe Power MagnumFORCE Stage-2 Si PRO 5R in either dry or oil along with the aFe Throttle Body Spacer. What do ya'll think? Any suggestions or opinions? Oiled or dry? I am leaning toward oiled. I have also been looking at Volant and Banks Ram Air. The aFe one seems to be the best choice in my opinion.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well after I saw a dyno of the big name intake companies and the gains, my only recommendation goes to a airaid MIT kit(tube and filter) with the stock box. Also a spacer is just gonna make a whistle goin down the road. Makes for a great paperweight
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Throttle body spacers are only useful with a carburetor because the spacer gives more time for the fuel and air to mix which would make a difference with a carb engine. Throttle body spacer and fuel injection don't do anything for you. Not trying to burst your bubble, but you will waste your money buying a throttle body spacer.
Old April 27th, 2013, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thinking about going with the Airaid MXP. I know the stock box has good flow. From what I have seen, the jr with stock box only makes about 2 hp less than full mxp. I like the way the full kit looks though. I also like the conical filters. Haven't decided yet if the 2hp and looks are worth the extra money to me or not, but been leaning more towards the full kit.
Old April 27th, 2013, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator

The tube and filter makes more power than a full on kit, by 2-3hp depending on the kit.
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Wow, I thought the full kit made 1-2 more than the jr. After thinking about it more over last couple days and crunching numbers I leaned toward the jr. The $200 will go much better toward the exhaust. Hopefully I will be able to get that soon. Don't know what kit yet. Haven't looked into them too much yet.
Old April 29th, 2013, 1:24 PM
Super Moderator

Wouldn't do a "kit" or cat-back. You don't need it, stock exhaust flows plenty enough for a stock motor with a few upgrades. Just chop off stock muffler, put muffler of choice on and run your tips or dump it
Old April 29th, 2013, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Cool. Was thinking about maybe headers down the road when I get the money, so I was thinking about a cat back kit or homebuilt and possibly high flow cat. That way if I get he headers sometime, I will have the whole exhaust done.
Old April 30th, 2013, 9:49 AM
Super Moderator

With headers you can get a off road y-pipe that deletes the cats. There's no need for high flows because the stock ones flow just a good. You could do like my setup....longtubes headers, off road y-pipe, single 3" exhaust, muffler of choice, then dump or run to your tip(s). With headers you'll need a custom tune
Old May 1st, 2013, 1:00 AM
CF Beginner

I am almost about ready to order a tuner. At first I was leaning towards the trinity, but I really like the backup camera feature on the evolution cts. It would make it seem like I am getting the most for the money since I would be using it every day with the backup camera. I have not found a bunch of info on edge's site about adjustable parameters though. I emailed them a couple days ago about exactly what the custom parameters were for my engine and transmission, if custom tuning was an option, and asked some questions about the data logging to see if it can be exported to csv for use in other pc software, or if the logs are only viewable in their proprietary computer software. I think they call it my edge. I have not heard back from them yet though. As long as I have control over all the important tuning options and can save 2 or 3 of them to switch between for different driving situations, I will probably go with the edge since I really like that back up camera feature and I have not seen any other cheap and clean looking backup camera options for my truck. There was a post here or maybe a different formum recently about using a chevy 09-12 rearview mirrow with onstar, temp, autodimming, and back up camera display with a harness found on ebay and a chevy tailgate handle bezel and a camera. A lot of the newer trucks are already wired for it. Just need to change the mirror, harness, handle bezel and and a camera. My truck is not wired for it though. I have seen many other options for back up camera displays, but they are usually either stand alone monitors, expensive av head units - which I would love but can't see spending that kind of money for it - or cheap replacement rear view mirrors that you lose autodim, onstar and usually temp and compass.