Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Question about Throttle Body Spacers

Old October 31st, 2007, 9:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Throttle Body Spacers

Just a question...I am currently looking into the feasibility and usefulness of the Throttle Body Spacers. I have seen some postings here and sites on the web that say they work well for air flow and improving MPG and was wondering if that was the case. Also I have noted several different brands that all seem to be the same thing with little difference. Is there one brand of TBS that is better or are they all basically the same, or is it personal preferance?
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:30 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question about Throttle Body Spacers

Without getting into too much technical detail a TB spacer simply alters the tuning of the intake track, like a fine musical instrument the intake manifold on GM engines are tuned to provide a smooth and broad power curve.

The spacer will extend the distance that the air travels to reach the cylinders and thus change the tuning ever so slightly moving the peak power of the engine up the RPM scale.

You may recall the older ZR1 Corvette with the LT5 engine; these engines were equipped with a intake plenum that had 16 tuned port runners (8 short and 8 long), there was a butterfly valve that diverted engine intake air flow to the longer runners for high RPM’s, the shorter intake runners were used at lower RPM’s.
Old November 1st, 2007, 9:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Then why not just purchase a longer air intake tube?
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:43 AM
CF Addict

Long runners decrease power at low RPM's.
Old November 1st, 2007, 2:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry if I sound like an idiot on the subject...just trying to get enough information to make an educated decision as to whether or not an investment of $100+ is worth it in the long run.

Basically elongating the air intake will decrease the power at low-end RPMs (basically those used to accelerate from a stop), thereby increasing the amount of fuel that would be required to get the 6900+ lb beast moving. Whereas the TBS, I guess sits within the throttle body (not sure how much work is involved in that installation) and I guess sits so that the air and fuel have "longer to mix" thereby increasing burn efficiency. If that is the case the TBS sounds like it is a good idea and should help with fuel efficiency.

But, as I guess with everything, seems to have either a "really love it" or "it's a waste" reviews. Is it really that hit or miss? As such, the reason why I'm trying to get as much information as possible from individuals who have used this on similar vehicles as I would be using it on, namely a 2003 Tahoe with a 5.3 V8.
Old November 1st, 2007, 2:17 PM
CF Addict

Save your money, many companies that produce throttle body spacers make claims that they will increase low and mid range torque and improve fuel economy don't believe them, if all it takes to improve fuel economy and power is a 1/2" piece of aluminum added to the intake track it would have been done by GM.

Little gimmicky devices like this and the Tornado are just that, there were days in the past that some devices would improve performance but those days are pretty much gone.
Old November 1st, 2007, 4:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok, thank you
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I still see adds for putting "cow magnets" on your gas line to align/charge/whatever the gas molecules. Thought those went out with the end of the mid-seventies energy "crisis". The sad thing was to listen to degreed engrs swear that they worked.

What's the story on this Fitch catalyst that goes in the gas line? Supposedly ups the octane a couple of points and refines(?) the gas. Costs over $100.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
CF Addict

The fitch fuel catalyst has been around for years, a product that actually does all that this manufacturer claims would certainly be marketed and distributed in a more sizable and credible way than the fitch has been by now if the claims were valid.

Automotive builders wil test some of these types of products if there is a shred of a chance that they can do what they claim, the fitch has not been tested by any car builders that I am aware of.

My advice regarding the fitch is; buy a magnet and tape it to your fuel lines or smoke a bannana.