Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Differential Repair

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2012, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Repair

This is the differential that was recently put on my truck. I didn't notice the mechanic's repair for the stuck plug until I brought it to a different shop and they put it up on the rack for me to see.

Is this ever an acceptable repair? Does the whole differential need to be replaced, or can this be fixed?

Thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails Differential Repair-differential-001.jpg  
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:06 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

It is not acceptable unless you ok'd it before the work was done. The whole differential does not need to be replaced. You only replace the cover or you can repair the old cover. From the picture it looks like only the cover needs work.
Old May 5th, 2012, 3:13 PM
CF Veteran

might want to check everything over, if the visible parts aren't up to par then who knows whats behind the cover
Old May 6th, 2012, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the help! I am really at a loss as to what to do at this point. Truck has not run right since they did this work. I've brought it back now three times and last week I noticed this leak, plus I think the rear axle and drive tire were pretty close to overheating while I was towing a trailer. The only way I can describe the odor that was coming from it was it was like the smell from the bumper car ride at a carnival. Burning metal? Burning rubber? Not sure. Truck is also shaking at highway speeds.

I am frustrated beyond words at this point at shop's inability to fix the issue. Do I just keep going back time and again until it is right? And how will I really know when it is fixed...I know nothing about differentials but from what I have read it sounds like sort of a complicated repair.
Old May 6th, 2012, 8:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I would take the cover off and take a look inside or at least remove the check bolt and make sure the fluid is full.
Old May 6th, 2012, 9:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No take the hit for now go to a new shop get it fix and call bbb and small claims make sure you get all the info you can and add court cost in suit
Don't bring it back