S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Rear differential and Trany Plugs

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2006, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear differential and Trany Plugs

on my 97 chevy s-10 2.2, which is rusted all to hell from living in new york for several years, i wish to top-off the transmission fluid (manual) and the only way to do that is to get under the car and loosen the bolt thats screwed on with an oversized hex wrench.....anyone know what size hex wrench to get??? the largest one in my set doesn't even come close. my haynes manual has no clue either. (they seem to be quite different for all car makes)

second. in attempt to top-off the rear differential fluid, the diff bolt is rusted on beyond all belief, and i've taken repeated blows at it with pb blast and my socket wrench (squared hole). now im worried that i have stripped the damned thing....any help to liven up my cranky trany??

JORDAN
Old November 5th, 2006, 4:33 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Rear differential and Trany Plugs

my '94, 4 door, 4x4 5 spd. Jimmy's tranny has the style hex fitting. it's a 17mm Allen key.
Old November 5th, 2006, 4:39 PM
CF Active Member

sorry Jordan, i just noticed u asked about diff plugs as well, use a 3/8 extension. u will probably have 2 clean out the pocket for the extension to fit in all the way-they tend 2 fill in with rust. make sure the extension fits all the way in as it's pretty easy 2 strip that plug. when u do get it removed, try replacing it with a brass hex head NPT fitting, much easier 2 remove in the future. u can find them in just about any hardware dept.
Old November 6th, 2006, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

i just stripped the diff. plug., i had the wrench as far as it could go....the rust was just too bad.
what do i do now.
-j
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:08 AM
CF Active Member

not all that uncomon for the diff plug 2 screw ya like that, u'd be surprised how infrequently the diff gets checked by some owners. had the same problem on my Jimmy. i had 2 remove the rear cover, place some rags behind the fill plug (2 catch the metal chips), and drill a hole for an "easy-out" (screw extractor) to remove the plug. u need 2 heat the plug area up with an oxy-acetylene torch ***BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF HEAT U APPLY TO THE DIFF.*** u can't overheat the diff. u have 2 watch the pinion seal doesn't melt, or that u don't burn the pinion bearings. if u r worried about doing this, u can try squeezing some gear oil through the vent tube on top for an emergency fill, but it'll take quite awhile, and i'd want 2 get the problem fixed soon (removing the plug 2 check the level and fill it properly). good luck
Old November 7th, 2006, 1:58 AM
CF Beginner

im probably then going to use an extractor.....what kind of plug can replace this thing.

Old November 7th, 2006, 2:33 AM
CF Active Member

i mentioned in my second post 2 use a brass NPT plug with an external hex-u know, like a bolt. u can find them in just about any hardware store. b careful & good luck.