Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

trany or transfer case

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2006, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trany or transfer case

Hi

my truck decided to let me down this weekend,

I have a 96 1500 Tahoe 4x4

wile I was driving it, I herd a bang under the car, the car would still drive but it sounded like two gears where not happy and if I went faster it would sound like a drive shaft bouncing around,

I have the truck on jack stands and I have it in park and I can turn the drive shaft going to the rear tires, wile I turn it I can heir two gears banging right at the trany /transfer case adaptor, I pulled the transfer case off to find oil in-between the trany and the transfer case, I just loosened them up and it started leaking didn’t even brake them apart yet and it was pissing oil

question 1. should their been oil leek out when loosing up the bolts that hold the transfer case? I would think their should not be since the trany has a oil seal and the transfer case has a oil seal also.

does this sound like a common thing that happens to Tahoe trucks , trany or transfer case? I still haven’t tried to turn the trany out put shaft to see if it will turn or not.

thank for your time

jsshark1
Old November 17th, 2006, 2:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: trany or transfer case

I have a '96 4x4 Tahoe and a '99 4x4 Suburban and have never had any problems like You're describing. I'd call a transmision shop that You feel comfortable with and give them the scenario You've described.