Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EGR valve elimination

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2009, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR valve elimination

I have a 2001 1500 5.3L, and was wondering if anyone out there can recomend the best way to bypass/eliminate the EGR valve. I've been looking into it some and have heard that the computer is efficient enough to run without this valve as long as it is programmed not to use it. Can I reprogram that feature from my hypertech power programmer?. Also I live in CA so I'll need to leave the valve on because the vin number can actually tell smog testers if the truck came with an EGR valve but I was thinking that I mght be able to cut out a thin sheet of brass in the shape of the EGR hose connection to the manifold and stick it between the seal and the hose itselft to block the recirculation. Any help or opinions on this issue would be appreciated
Old January 25th, 2009, 8:45 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That you be exactly how you do it. cut the sheet metal to the same shape as the base of the EGR valve, drill 2 holes and bolt it in the egrs place. You will be setting off the SES light, and to my knowledge, there is no way to reprogram the ECM with calibrations without an EGR.
I also have no experience wth aftermarket programmers so someone else with knowledge may want to chime in
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you want to bypass the EGR valve?
Old January 25th, 2009, 2:05 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Bypassing or blocking the EGR prevents the “recirculation” of exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber.
The engine only gets clean fuel and air which can maximize power output, instead of the blended or recirculated mixture containing both some un-burnt and burnt fuel.
I think the gains are minimal on today’s vehicles but some want to squeeze out every drop of power from their engine. Its a hot rodding thing...