Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2014, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge problem

I have a 2004 Silverado. During recent cold snap with temperatures near 20 below, my battery died. I replaced battery. After new battery installed, the fuel, oil, temperature, and battery gauges do not work. Also the ABS, battery and airbag warning lights remain on. 4 wheel drive light does not come on when engaged. Radio does not work. I have checked what fuses I think pertain but they are all good. not sure if matters but they only had a 450 amp battery so that is what i had to get. Any help is appreciated as to the cause.
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by humpbacks2
I have a 2004 Silverado. During recent cold snap with temperatures near 20 below, my battery died. I replaced battery. After new battery installed, the fuel, oil, temperature, and battery gauges do not work. Also the ABS, battery and airbag warning lights remain on. 4 wheel drive light does not come on when engaged. Radio does not work. I have checked what fuses I think pertain but they are all good. not sure if matters but they only had a 450 amp battery so that is what i had to get. Any help is appreciated as to the cause.
Are you referring to cold cranking amps? If so I'd recommend going with a stronger battery, especially in colder weather. I use no less than 700 cca's in my truck and I live in North Texas.

Back to the gauges......Did you check the battery cables to make sure they were not corroded and were connected tightly?

It sounds like you blew several fuses on the install of the new battery. Did you check the fuse panel under the hood along with the fuse panel inside the cab? (on the left side of the dash when you open the drivers door) Make sure to keep the ignition OFF when checking.

If all of the fuses are good then disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes then reconnect and see if everything is working.

Just so you know, Chevy had a big issue with the cluster gauge panels going bad even while under warranty. So its possible that its coincidental that you replaced the battery at the same time the gauges went out.
Old February 20th, 2014, 4:31 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks. I took it to auto parts store yesterday and they checked battery, charging, fuses, etc and everything ok. I exchanged battery for the 700 amp one and everything started working again.
Old February 20th, 2014, 10:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by humpbacks2
Thanks. I took it to auto parts store yesterday and they checked battery, charging, fuses, etc and everything ok. I exchanged battery for the 700 amp one and everything started working again.
Excellent! Glad you got it working again! I wasn't too sure that 450 amp battery could handle all of the electronics in your truck.

Thanks for posting the fix for your problem. Many people post questions but never any fixes so there are a bunch of threads with no final solutions by the Original Posters.