Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GM Customer Assistance

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2013, 9:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Customer Assistance

Is an oxymoron. Just trying to get those contract employees who work at GM in their customer assistance center to answer a simple question in regard to maximum tongue weight, or at least try and find an answer and get back with me is impossible.

Now, I am going to have to actually sit at my computer and send a letter off to GM headquarters in Detroit to see if there are any people left at GM with the intelligence of answering the question.

And that question is; why does the owner manual show a max tongue weight of 800 lbs (weight carrying), while the sticker on the hitch shows a max tongue weight of 600 lbs (weight carrying)?

Direct quote Owner's manual:
Vehicle Series Hitch Type
Maximum Tongue
Weight
1500 Weight Carrying 363 kg (800 lb)

Sticker attached to the trailer hitch...
Name:  2013-01-20_14-35-18_484_zpsc21d9d43.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  66.4 KB
Old May 1st, 2013, 2:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because the vehicle can handle 800, your reciever can handle only 600.

made by different companies.
Old May 1st, 2013, 6:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. The vehicle can hold a lot more than 800 lbs, but can the hitch?

The info from the owner's manual as well as that on the hitch clearly state "tongue weight."

It is just another mistake made by the idiots who write the GM service manuals. GM hires contract houses to write the owner's and service manuals and then to run their customer assistance centers. They staff the CACs with some GM managers, but the normal day-to-day operations are run by some contract house(s).

I have sent this info onto a friend I used to work at when I was at GM. He's in GM legal, and will in turn contact someone in engineering. I'll be curious. What got me last night was the ineptitude of the assistance center. Not sure if any of them could wipe their butts without help!
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would have surmised the same thing hicksvilleshick did, probably a vendor related thing with the hitch... It could also be less because the hitch is bolted to the frame rather then welded...?
Old May 2nd, 2013, 9:45 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
I would have surmised the same thing hicksvilleshick did, probably a vendor related thing with the hitch... It could also be less because the hitch is bolted to the frame rather then welded...?
welded/not welded factors some. The bigger issue is that it's for stability. you start getting too much weight on the tounge and it's going to make the steering fun.

I'm sure you could throw all the weight on the tounge you want, but your gonna strain the frame rails, suspension etc...

example of too much tounge weight (basically)