Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hey ZX1100F1, I need your assistance again.

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey ZX1100F1, I need your assistance again.

Dave-

I am wondering if there is a known issue with the power steering pumps on Silverados. I know that you hang out in this forum a lot and it would be easy to find you here. When my truck is sitting at idle, it sound perfect. However,as soon as the engine speed rises above 1100 rpms my truck sounds like it has crickets in the engine bay. The sound sounds like it is coming from the power steering pump. When I am cruising, it is a constant sound. I want to have a little information prior to taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks

Sean
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Hey ZX1100F1, I need your assistance again.

sounds like an idler pully to me... im sure ZF will correct me if Im wrong....
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM
CF Active Member

That is what I thought it was, but it is coming from the PS pump.
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:21 PM
CF Senior Member

I immediately thought of an Idler pulley or Belt. If you have a 2000 I would change the belt first and see if that solves the issue. Sorry, I know I'm not ZX but I chased a squeak by replacing 2 idler pulleys before finally changing the belt and eliminating the squeak.
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:30 PM
CF Active Member

This is an 07 Silverado with 1400 miles on it. I have been reading on GM-trucks.com and there area couple of guys there that have had a problem that is like mine. I just wanted to see if Dave has seen it, and if there is a fix for it. I just went out to the truck again, and I had my wife hit the gas. The sound is definately the PS pump. It kind of sounds like an idler pulley, but it doesn't. It literally sounds like a small cricket. Idlers and belts are normally louder than this is.
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM
CF Active Member

Here is some information that was given to me at GM-trucks. Hopefully ZX can tell me if this would apply to me even though it is listed as an 06 Silverado document.

Document ID# 1875699
2006 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD
Subject:Power Steering Whine Noise - keywords fluid gear hose idle pump turn #PIT4208 - (12/04/2006)

[align=left]Models:2003-2007 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT[/align][align=left]2003-2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe[/align][align=left]2003-2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali[/align][align=left]2003-2007 Hummer H2 [/align]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some owners may comment on a power steering pump whine noise. This whine noise is most commonly heard between idle and 2000 rpm coming from the power steering pump.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Reports of flushing and refilling the power steering system with Valvoline SynPower Power Steering Fluid have reduced or eliminated this noise. Valvoline SynPower Power Steering Fluid is a synthetic fluid and is available at most auto parts stores in quart size containers. In most case 3 or 4 quarts will be needed to flush and fill the system.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have heard some not loud idler pullies, when they just start to go, havent heard of any other things but the post above me would say different LOL, but the noise they are referring ot is a whine like when the pump stops working or works harder....take it in if its new, let them puta scope on it tell you EXACTLY where the noise is coming from..
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:57 PM
CF Active Member

I have an appt. tomorrow. The dealership I am going to has a habit of saying "could not duplicate compaint." So, before I leave, I am going to have the tech. come out and listen to it with me in the truck. The problem I am having is exactly what my last post states.
Old October 29th, 2007, 1:26 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean,
There is the above PIT (Information Bulletin) on the noise that applies to 2003-2007 Silverados and other GMT800 and 900 products).

The actual TSB addressing this issue I have listed below.
Changing the fluid to the synthetic Valvoline is a possible solution I would print and show the service advisor the PIT and ask if they won't complete the fluid change for you.

Document ID# 1974648
2007 Chevrolet Silverado - 4WD
[hr] [align=left] Subject: Power Steering High Pitched Whistle Noise Heard in Any Gear with Vehicle Warm (No Fix Available at This Time) #06-02-32-010A - (05/22/2007)[/align] [align=left] Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT[/align] [align=left]
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Silverado 1500, Tahoe[/align] [align=left]
2007 GMC Sierra 1500, Yukon, Yukon XL[/align]
[hr] This bulletin is being revised because a new fix is being developed. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-32-010 (Section 02 -- Steering). [hr] Condition Some customers may comment on a high-pitched whistle noise. This noise occurs just off idle in any gear with the vehicle warm. It can best be heard when seated in the vehicle, with the windows up, and the radio and HVAC off. The noise will be a very low amplitude (low volume level) and very high frequency (similar to a dog whistle). Cause The source of the noise described above is internal to the steering gear. Engineering is currently investigating the cause of this noise and working to develop a correction. Correction No correction is available at this time. DO NOT replace the steering gear in an attempt to correct this correction. This bulletin will be revised when a fix becomes available.

Old October 29th, 2007, 1:34 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks Dave!! It is the most annoying sound to listen to while you are driving. It is worse than the most annoying sound that Jim Carey makes in Dumb and Dumber. ;-)

Quick Reply: Hey ZX1100F1, I need your assistance again.