Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Good Price? - 2008 Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2012, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Price? - 2008 Chevy Silverado

Hey Guys,
This is my first post here. I am looking at the below truck and wanted to know if you think it was a good price.

It is a 2008 Chevy Silverado LT with Z85 Suspension
- 65,000 Miles
- LT
- Crew Cab
- Fiberglass Tonneau Cover

Take a look and let me know if I can haggle this price?

Asking $21,999. That is pretty low the way it is!

Here is the link to the TRUCK --> Pine Line Auto Sales
Attached Thumbnails Good Price? - 2008 Chevy Silverado-pine-line-silverado.jpg   Good Price? - 2008 Chevy Silverado-pine-line-silverado_2.jpg  
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:28 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

It's a fair price, but there should be haggle room. I looked here and there are similar trucks at similar prices and also newer trucks with less mileage with a few less options at less money.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
It's a fair price, but there should be haggle room. I looked here and there are similar trucks at similar prices and also newer trucks with less mileage with a few less options at less money.
Where are you located?

The KBB Retail is ($25,260) & NADA is ($26,125)
Trade In Values are $19,325 (Excellent) and $18,875 (Very Good)

That is what I was gauging my pricing off of and the Trade in Excellent is close to the selling price.

PS - I just got him down to $21,499.
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:17 PM
CF Active Member

Just FYI, I just purchased a 2008 crew cab silverado ltz 4x4 vortec max (6.0l). Leather, nav, power everything. 71K miles. Hard quad fold toneau cover, locking tailgate, 20" rims, turn signal mirrors, memory group, power sun room and rear sliding window, spray in bed liner, plus more. Paid 24,800 otd (tax, tag, title). I believe I paid a little over 23K for the truck itself. So a I definitely think you should be able to get a little better deal on a (assuming it's a 5.3L) lt. BTW, it looks like a base LT model as it doesn't have the DIC (drivers information center) buttons. You can easily add this for $100 and it is well worth it. But, i think the truck is priced a little high. Just my .02.

(also notice how someone definitely used it as a truck - scratched bed but never bothered to put in a bed liner. Indicative of how previous owner may have or not maintained it. Especially important if it has higher mileage. See if receipts are available for any maintenance that was done by previous owner.)

However, just fyi, if you are buying at a dealer, it all depends on how much money they have into it. If they gave someone 21k for the truck on trade in, they have very little wiggle room (money is spend on things like tires, any maintenance and inspections, etc). It took me three years to wait for the right truck to come in that the dealer had enough room to move to bring it down to my price range.

Hope this is helpful

Eric
Old June 14th, 2012, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ericnottelin
Just FYI, I just purchased a 2008 crew cab silverado ltz 4x4 vortec max (6.0l). Leather, nav, power everything. 71K miles. Hard quad fold toneau cover, locking tailgate, 20" rims, turn signal mirrors, memory group, power sun room and rear sliding window, spray in bed liner, plus more. Paid 24,800 otd (tax, tag, title). I believe I paid a little over 23K for the truck itself. So a I definitely think you should be able to get a little better deal on a (assuming it's a 5.3L) lt. BTW, it looks like a base LT model as it doesn't have the DIC (drivers information center) buttons. You can easily add this for $100 and it is well worth it. But, i think the truck is priced a little high. Just my .02.

(also notice how someone definitely used it as a truck - scratched bed but never bothered to put in a bed liner. Indicative of how previous owner may have or not maintained it. Especially important if it has higher mileage. See if receipts are available for any maintenance that was done by previous owner.)

However, just fyi, if you are buying at a dealer, it all depends on how much money they have into it. If they gave someone 21k for the truck on trade in, they have very little wiggle room (money is spend on things like tires, any maintenance and inspections, etc). It took me three years to wait for the right truck to come in that the dealer had enough room to move to bring it down to my price range.

Hope this is helpful

Eric
Do you have a link on where I can find information on adding the DIC. Most of the trucks I am seeing and looking at do not have that. I was going to get a ScanGuage if I did end up buying one that did not have that.

That is a fantastic deal! I am looking only at 5.3 L and would really like a 6-Speed. I have been looking for about a year on and off and have not found the PERFECT one yet.

I think that they have little wiggle. They did completely repaint the undercarriage so I know that had to be a couple hundred. I have to look at it again in close look to see what else might have been done. It is very clean. I just like getting opinions on these. Your are all so helpful in this Forum!
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:17 AM
CF Active Member

Here is a link for the DIC kit. It is plug and play for the silverado. 2008 Chevrolet Silverado Driver Information Center Accessories

You can get it from your local dealer. They will want $100.00.

The 2008 does not come with the 6 speed. 2009 it was a rare upgrade for the 5.3. It became standard on the 2010. It does make a big difference in fuel economy for city driving and helps with towing. Doesn't help with highway mileage. Other than going with a gear venders overdrive (only if your 4x4 DOESN'T have the auto option) is to get a shorter gear in the rear end. Not sure what rear gears the truck you are looking at has, but the 3.73 are very common. Not great economy gears but good for towing. Depending on your individual needs.

Eric
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:18 AM
CF Active Member

Sorry, again be patient. If the truck doesn't feel right, then wait for another. There are some really good deals for current chevy owners and used trucks are always plentiful.
Old June 14th, 2012, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Here is a link for the DIC kit. It is plug and play for the silverado. 2008 Chevrolet Silverado Driver Information Center Accessories

You can get it from your local dealer. They will want $100.00.

The 2008 does not come with the 6 speed. 2009 it was a rare upgrade for the 5.3. It became standard on the 2010. It does make a big difference in fuel economy for city driving and helps with towing. Doesn't help with highway mileage. Other than going with a gear venders overdrive (only if your 4x4 DOESN'T have the auto option) is to get a shorter gear in the rear end. Not sure what rear gears the truck you are looking at has, but the 3.73 are very common. Not great economy gears but good for towing. Depending on your individual needs.

Eric

Thank you for that link. Excellent to have and know it is only $100.00 add on!

I am looking for a Crew and I am not going to be doing towing. It is mostly going to be a weekend getaway truck and a family vehicle for the room and bed for MULCH, ROCKS and all kinds of work that I do around my house. So that might be able to gauge you at what I am looking for. I live in Northeast PA and mostly back country hilly roads and highway. Most speeds are 35-45 in the country and slower… I would like to get the best Fuel Economy that I possibly can. Here are 4 TRUCKS I am looking at and their set ups. Let me know what you think is best for MPG's.

2008 Silverado Crew LT - 41,000 Miles ($23,499)
LC9 ENGINE FLEXIBLE FUEL,(GAS/ALC),8 CYL,5.3L,SFI,ALUM CYL DEACT,GM 5.3-3 FLEX FUEL W/CYL DEACTVN/AFM(LC9)
M30 TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC 4 SPEED,4L60E,ELECTRONIC 4-SPD A/TRANS(M30)
GT4 AXLE,REAR,3.73 RATIO 3.73R(GT4)

2008 Silverado Crew LT - 64,000 Miles ($21,499)
LH6 ENGINE,5.3L(323CID) GAS V8 5.3-M ALUM W/CYL DEACTIVATION(LH6)
GT4 AXLE,REAR,3.73 RATIO 3.73R(GT4)

2009 Sierra Crew SLE - 52,000 Miles ($23,999)
LC9 ENGINE FLEXIBLE FUEL,(GAS/ALC),8 CYL,5.3L,SFI,ALUM CYL DEACT,GM 5.3-3 FLEX FUEL W/CYL DEACTVN/AFM(LC9)
MYC TRANSMISSION AUTO 6 SPD, HMD, 6L-80 6-SPD A/TRANS(MYC)
GU6 AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO 3.42R(GU6)

2007 Silverado Crew LT - 52,000 Miles ($20,999)
LY2 ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 4.8L, SFI, IRON, CYLINDER DEACTIVATION GM 4.8C W/CYL DEACTVN(LY2)
GU6 AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO 3.42R(GU6)

What ones above would get me the best MPG.
Old June 14th, 2012, 3:09 PM
CF Active Member

Ok, for starters. I had an 08 4.8L and I can tell you it does drink a little more gas than it's 5.3L counterpart. But not by that much. I had 3.73s in mine and averaged around 13-14 in town and on interstate only (75ish) i averaged between 15-16mph. Would probably have done better on the mpgs on the interstate with the 3.42 I found the motor to be very competent and for a full sized truck, I had no complaints with the mileage. I had to trade up because we are now towing a 25' camper that weights 7k. It towed ok (in the flat lands of Florida). Wouldn't want to take it into the mountains, thus the bigger 6.0l.

Personally I would go with the GMC. First off, they hold their value better than their Chevy counterparts. I look all over Florida for an 09 or 10 GMC with the 6speed and 5.3 combo with no luck. I'm guessing the SLE has the basics with none of the frills. That was the same with my old 08 LS. I added the DIC, locking tail gate and tonneau cover and loved my truck. Since your not towing, the integrated trailer brake is not a must. Let me tell you if you do have to tow something with trailer brakes, ensure you look for that option as it is outstanding compared to an aftermarket controller.

My second choice would be the 4.8L with the 3.42. Again, it is a great motor and the amount of fuel you will save with the 5.3L will never amount to the amount you will spend on the actual purchase of the truck. Since your not towing, I don't think you would notice that much of a difference. Also, we did take our 4.8L fully loaded into N. Carolina to go tent camping. It did great. No problems. My avatar is my old 4.8L on the blue ridge. That truck also ran deals gap

For additional info, in 2010 they started variable valve timing in the 5.3l. This also helps with fuel mileage.

Again, compare the options to see what you get.

Hope this is helpful. I will be away from the pc for a few hours, but will check it later to see if you had any additional questions. Best of luck and remember this moto as my sales man hated it - There is always another truck!!!

Eric
Old June 14th, 2012, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, for starters. I had an 08 4.8L and I can tell you it does drink a little more gas than it's 5.3L counterpart. But not by that much. I had 3.73s in mine and averaged around 13-14 in town and on interstate only (75ish) i averaged between 15-16mph. Would probably have done better on the mpgs on the interstate with the 3.42 I found the motor to be very competent and for a full sized truck, I had no complaints with the mileage. I had to trade up because we are now towing a 25' camper that weights 7k. It towed ok (in the flat lands of Florida). Wouldn't want to take it into the mountains, thus the bigger 6.0l.

Personally I would go with the GMC. First off, they hold their value better than their Chevy counterparts. I look all over Florida for an 09 or 10 GMC with the 6speed and 5.3 combo with no luck. I'm guessing the SLE has the basics with none of the frills. That was the same with my old 08 LS. I added the DIC, locking tail gate and tonneau cover and loved my truck. Since your not towing, the integrated trailer brake is not a must. Let me tell you if you do have to tow something with trailer brakes, ensure you look for that option as it is outstanding compared to an aftermarket controller.

My second choice would be the 4.8L with the 3.42. Again, it is a great motor and the amount of fuel you will save with the 5.3L will never amount to the amount you will spend on the actual purchase of the truck. Since your not towing, I don't think you would notice that much of a difference. Also, we did take our 4.8L fully loaded into N. Carolina to go tent camping. It did great. No problems. My avatar is my old 4.8L on the blue ridge. That truck also ran deals gap

For additional info, in 2010 they started variable valve timing in the 5.3l. This also helps with fuel mileage.

Again, compare the options to see what you get.

Hope this is helpful. I will be away from the pc for a few hours, but will check it later to see if you had any additional questions. Best of luck and remember this moto as my sales man hated it - There is always another truck!!!

Eric
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thanks for the great information on the 4.8L V8. That really helps me get a good idea of what I am dealing with if I got that and what I would most likely get with MPG’s with the 4.7 and 3.42 gears. Most likely 14-15 (City) & 16-17 (HGH) at best. So that is good to know.

I think (and what I really want is the GMC). I know that they are a little more (I am not sure why – maybe someone can tell me) but I love the 6-Speed with the 5.3 and that is what I really really want. It is a little more but it is also in the color I want. I think as you did I will add the DIC but not sure about the Locking Tail Gate (I will have to look at that) but I will add the Tonneau for sure.

Here is the truck. What do you think for $23,999 ?

Used GMC Sierra 1500 For Sale Olyphant, PA - CarGurus

I e-mailed the dealer and put in an offer for $21,499. I doubt that he will take that but you never know. Maybe I can meet half way. The KBB value is 27,800 and NADA is 27,200 so I am not sure how much they will budge.

You are very helpful Eric. I really appreciate it! Such good information!

Bobby

Quick Reply: Good Price? - 2008 Chevy Silverado