Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hard start when cold ,'98 4.3L

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2012, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start when cold ,'98 4.3L

Will not start when cold unless I put a portable heater over the distributor area and let it run for 30-40 minutes. After that it starts up immediately.
It's a '98 C1500 with a 4.3L engine and 153000 miles. The SES reports a P0404. I've physically checked and cleaned the EGR-still get same code.

I've replaced the distributor, rotor, spark plug cables, spark plugs. The pressure in the injector lines runs between 56# to 60#. I have plenty of spark. Does anyone have any idea what is around the distributor area that would prevent starting when cold.

It was suggested that it might be the CKP sensor, but I can't figure out how applying heat up by the distributor would affect the sensor.

It was also suggested that I replace the distributor assembly. Would the cam sensor be affected by cold?

Maybe adding heat is just a red herring. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old August 17th, 2013, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Am having a similar problem. Engine runs great when warmed but is hard to start if it has been sitting idle for 2-3 days. Any suggestions to resolve my problem would be greatly appreciated
Old December 23rd, 2013, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Similar issue here. I have a 99 Suburban. It starts first turn every time when the temp is warm and will do so even if it's cold like 0 degrees if I've run it the day before, but if I let it sit for two days in the cold it will not start. I can crank away for 15 minutes and i hear the starter cranking, till i drain the battery down, but it will not start. If I wait and the Sun comes out and hits it and temp rises to like 30 it will start again. Never an issue when it's warm and the sun is on it, only an issue if it sits for two days or more and it's cold. IF after I get it started, I start it the next day with 0 degrees, it start right up. What the heck is causing this? I made the mistake of not running it this past weekend and now it's in the 20's and overcast and it won't start. It's driving me nuts. Does anyone know what this could be? I tried turning the key forward without starting and holding it there for 1-2 seconds, twice, then crank on the third attempt, but still no go, it does seem like it struggles once or twice to try to start then will not do that again. It's as if it's not getting gas or it's flooded. I smell gas at the back of the truck and when i turn the key i can hear the pump kick on. The pump was replace at about 150,000 and the truck now has 210,000, but again when it's warm out it will start so I don't think it's the fuel pump.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 9:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Nacho Welcome to the forum...
I'd get the fuel pressure checked, it could be the root of many problems...
it needs to be 55+, steady and hold for a period of time and bled down slow after engine cut off... if its not doing at least those things the fuel pump could be your problem...
the fuel could be bleeding all the way back to the tank if the pump is defective and the cold making everything shrink up, is making it worse...
Checking fuel pressure is an easy and inexpensive place to start and eliminate too
Old December 24th, 2013, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Thx. It doe seem like it's bleeding all the way back and takes a couple of days. The part I can't understand is why when the sun comes out and warms the car, it will suddenly start. I'm going to get the fuel filter changed, in case there is some water in the line freezing up in there and will get the pressure checked to boot.