Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I want to change from pusbutton 4wd to manual 4wd

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2011, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to change from pusbutton 4wd to manual 4wd

I bought this truck new in 04, every fall since I have owned it the 4wd is not working. I want to go to a manual 4wd. Right now its pusbutton with Auto,4wd hi @ lo. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for some imput as if this is a feasable way of fixing the electronic 4wd problems or should I just get another truck. The truck has been perfect for over 200000 miles except for this crappy pusbutton auto 4wd drive.
Thanks
Greg
Old March 1st, 2011, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default change push button 4x4 to manual

first what kind of trouble do you have? i have 2001 silverado with the push button, it works fine for me i have replaced the push button switch
but hey everything wears out
that is the only problem here and mine has over 200 K on it
Old March 2nd, 2011, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Well, where to begain

I think everything but the buttons have been replaced.
Right now the computer has locked the 4wd out, the lights just flash once and the go out. But before that when I would start the truck it would always shift into auto 4wd, it did the same thing last year, when you turn short in Auto sometimes the front end will bind, well you hit the 2wd button, the bind is gone. Shut the truck off and restart and your back in Auto. Sometimes it would try to shift in 4wd lo, when that happened you had to shut it off and on the restart you could push the 2 wheel drive button while they were flashing and you could hear it finsh going into lo and then back to 2wd. Last year it did exactly the same thing and the Chevy dealer replaced the electronic box under the dash and the motor on the transfer case, that procedure only cost about 700 to 750$. I can buy a manual Transfer case with shifter and boot for 500$
It has broken some electronic gizmo every year, warrenty fixed it once, last year was the most expensive, thats 6 years of fixing it, but it refuses to stay fixed for more than 10 to 12 months. I think my Auto 4wd Definitly falls in the "Lemon" catagory.