Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

lower intake leaking and truck starts like is binding.

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2012, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower intake leaking and truck starts like is binding.

hi everyone. my name is budda. i have a 96 c1500 ext. cab with 5.7l. my lower intake is leaking and well i was wondering if this is something i could do myself and also when i am trying to start it, it seems as though it maybe bindin like it may have a bad bendix on the starter, the fly wheel doesnt look that bad. i just got this truck and i like it and cant afford anything else right now or for a while so any insight would be much appreciated. thanks.
Old June 12th, 2012, 2:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If your lower intake is leaking, you better fix that. Binding? Or grinding on the starter?
Old June 12th, 2012, 8:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Its a project but it can be done. You need to remove at least one of the valve covers...since you are doing that. might as well remove both and replace both gaskets. There is two intake gaskets that need to be replaced and you also need to get RTV gasket maker for the front and rear of the intake manifold. I don't have pictures but make sure you RTV the corner were the heads meet the block...this is also where the intake gaskets end.
Old December 16th, 2012, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

am finally back, well i fixed the lower intake leak and well now once in a blue moon my heatercore clamp leaks. but is ok i have been keeping a close eye on it. i just wanted to thank everyone for their info that was a geat help.