Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Motor swap problems

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2012, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swap problems

Hello everyone. I have an '89 Sierra k1500 reg cab long box. I put in a 409 sbc (400 small block +.040, Vortec style heads, comp 275DEH, etc) and now that I am almost done I run into a major snag. My year truck uses that big obnoxious steel plate for mounting the accessories that runs down both sides of the front of the motor and bolts to both heads and the block on both sides near the bottom (like where the fuel pump pushrod bolt goes). Well, my new (older) block wasn't drilled and tapped for the plate so it isn't bolted to the motor and now it keeps flexing and moving the p.s pump away from the block and pitching the serp belt. I thought that big monstrosity plate would be ok without being bolted on in just one place. Boy was I wrong. My question is, can I drill and tap an older block there or is it thinner and I'll hit water or something? Or can I switch to v-belt accessories and their respective brackets and have it be compatible with my a/c compressor, etc (if so, what is a good donor)? THANK YOU!!!
Old April 24th, 2012, 9:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe they make kits to convert an older style block to a serpentine setup, i would personally keep the v-belt configuration unless you want to run A/C and that.