Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Motor swap problems

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2013, 1:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swap problems

Hello, I have a problem!!! I have a 91 caprice classic with a 305 5.0L sbc. I bought another 305 5.0L sbc it's just from 1984 & had been rebuilt by a professional shop. It's board at 35 over. I couldn't use the intake manifold that came with the sbc because it was for a carburetor. So with a little modification to the intake manifold from the original motor, I was able to use that for my tbi. after putting everything together, I had to set the timing. I kept the spark plugs from the original motor & used those. I set the timing by ear by turning the distributer until the engine sound good. After starting it & driving it for a few minutes I decided to have a dual exhaust system put on with glass packs. Now when I drive the car shuts off sometimes when I come to a complete stop without hitting the gas pedal. it starts back up. & I'm smelling some gas coming from the tail pipes. I also have water coming from the pipes. & I noticed that when I get on the express way after I get up to about 50mph my car don't accelerate like it should. Just the other day I drove around the corner & the car felt like it wasn't getting any gas & turned off on me, but it started right back up. & today I stared my car just to warm it up & after 5 minutes of running it turned off & didn't start back up because it ran out of gas. I just put 30 bucks in there 2 days ago & didn't drive far at all. I dropped the tank & noticed that I need a gasket for my sending unit. I didn't put it in because it's freezing out side. I will replace that next week end. I know this is a long story, but can some one help me out here, whats going on? Gas leaves quick, poor acceleration, car stalls out, & raw gas smell from trail pipe. :-(
Old March 9th, 2013, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Try checking the coolant temp sensor,sometimes they go out of range and show the wrong temp.It may not turn on the check eng light.You can check it with a scan tool.If you don't have access to one, try unplugging it and see if anything changes.Or just replace it,they aren't expensive.Also check the vacuum line to the MAP sensor.Sometimes the port in the throttle body plugs with carbon and sometimes the line collapses.
Old March 10th, 2013, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thank, I will try that tomorrow