Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need opinions and advice from people with experience.

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2014, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions and advice from people with experience.

I am looking at this 99' Z71 with 255k miles on it. Guy claims the tranny was rebuilt 90k miles ago. Not sure yet if he has a receipt or not for the work or parts. It is 4x4 sitting on 38's with 80% tread left. He says it has been kept up to maintenance. Any advice on the most I should pay for it or if I should even get it. What to look for when I go and look at it? Buying a vehicle at 255k miles is kind of sketchy to me but if a vehicle has been taken care of who knows how long it will last. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4263437909.html
Old January 14th, 2014, 4:11 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my opinion so don't throw rocks, okay?

Nothing says "I'm a bubble gum chewing, uninformed kid" louder than a a lifted, huge tired truck. Add the quoted mileage to that and it's not worth the drive to go look at it.

Allan
Old January 14th, 2014, 9:27 AM
CF Junior Member

That is alot of miles... It just depends on how much you will use it and if it will be worth the cost for it. when you go look have him start it and listen to the engine run for a while, see if he will let you take it for a drive. so look, listen, and feel for anything that doesnt feel normal or natural to you.
Old January 14th, 2014, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
Just my opinion so don't throw rocks, okay?

Nothing says "I'm a bubble gum chewing, uninformed kid" louder than a a lifted, huge tired truck. Add the quoted mileage to that and it's not worth the drive to go look at it.

Allan
Ok, what's the point of even being on here if you're gonna say stuff like that? If you don't like lifted trucks that's fine, but don't stereotype everybody just because they do. Especially people you don't know.
Old January 14th, 2014, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevy-guy3
That is alot of miles... It just depends on how much you will use it and if it will be worth the cost for it. when you go look have him start it and listen to the engine run for a while, see if he will let you take it for a drive. so look, listen, and feel for anything that doesnt feel normal or natural to you.
I don't drive far at all. I'll make a road trip every once in a while and I won't be hauling anything. I wouldn't pay over 4500 for it.
Old January 14th, 2014, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you the hood/grille don't line up. But take it for a drive. Only real way to check it out. Look up under it and look for mud/rust. Also check out the angles of the front end and see if they are closer to flat or angles up bad. He's got them tires stuffed in there pretty good. See if he's had it regeared as well.
Old January 14th, 2014, 9:54 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Always keep in mind the bluebook value of the vehicle sans any mods or upgrades... a $2,000 dollar truck is not worth $18,000 just because the previous owner decided to put $16,000 dollars worth of stereo equipment in it...same goes for mods... you can give a little more but remember those mods need to be pro-rated just like the value of a vehicle is over time....

Let us know what you decide to do either way
Old January 15th, 2014, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Well the KBB value is around 5k in near perfect condition. He wants 8k for it. I'm personally not paying that for a gasoline powered vehicle with 255k miles on it. Especially because I don't know the guy and how well the truck has been taken care of. That could be an easy money pit. He says he had the tranny rebuilt which to me honestly doesn't raise the value of the truck. Maybe just a little. He said the wheels and Tires were about 3k. Tires have 80% tread left on them. He said he had about a grand more in extras which I'm assuming he was talking about the conversion kit. I said the same thing to him in2pro. You are never going to completely get your money back with aftermarket parts. He said I am a funny guy lol. In the end I told him I wouldn't pay 8k for it and he got mad so I'm not even looking at the truck anymore. Thanks everybody for your help.