Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No GPS Signal

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2012, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No GPS Signal

I have a 2009 Silverado hybrid with the OEM NAV Sytem. I have just recently ran into a problem with my GPS in that it is not recieving a signal. I have search fourms and tried to touble shoot myself with my limited knowledge and less solving of this problem. I still have my warrenty but want to try and stay away from the dealership as much as possible as for what i have read so far they are unable to help.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:16 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ajuscg,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your navigation. A few things to take into consideration: This condition may be caused by aftermarket electronic devices such as radar detectors, cell phones, and MP3 players that may interfere with the GPS signal reception. Aftermarket window tinting or clear UV film applied to the windshield may also reduce the GPS signal reception and cause the Navigation radio to function incorrectly.

The GPS antenna is located in the upper center of the Instrument Panel. Do any of these conditions apply to your vehicle?

If not, I recommend consulting with a certified technician for additional assistance.

Please keep us posted. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 24th, 2012, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louis,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Thank you for the reply. I do not have any obstruction over my GPS antenna except an EZ Pass (on the upper left side of my mirror, which has never been an issue before a couple of weeks ago. I do how ever have window tint on all my windows except the front windshield. As with the EZ Pass that was not a problem until a few weeks ago. After reading multiple forums and threads I did notice minor similarities in a few. As with many other owners they also subscribed to the satellite radio and when the satellite radio was in use the GPS signal would disappear.<o></o>
<o></o>
After some simple trial and errors of using both satellite options I awoke this morning got in my truck listening to FM and achieved GPS signal. My guess is that the GPS antenna is used for both location and satellite radio application. This is where I believe the problem arises and is the outlying issue. I am currently out of town until tomorrow and was going to talk to my local dealer about this. Obviously if that is an/the issue the dealer will be of little help and the problem will ultimately fall on the manufacture of the head unit. This is the only conclusion I can attain through my limited knowledge of the system.<o></o>
Old May 25th, 2012, 8:09 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ajuscg,

Interesting. Was the XM system factory installed or did you have it installed after purchase?

Please keep me updated of the outcome of your dealer visit. I hope they are able to resolve this issue for you.

Louis
GM Customer Service