Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Window tint interfering with GPS signal

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2007, 12:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tint interfering with GPS signal

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum...

I just bought a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with OEM navigation and recently installed dark limo tint (metallic) throughout the car and also the lightest shade tint available on the frontwindshield as well.(Yes, I know it's illegal)

Now my GPS is acting up and I get no signal or my nav tells me I'm on entirely different streets. Does anyone know where the gps antenna is located. I asked the dealer and they told me it was the antenna on the roof... "Okay thanx for the help sir but thats the onstar antenna... DUHHH"

I'm thinking it's somewhere in the dashboard and all I would have to do to fix this is to remove the windshield tint so I could receive signal again.

I'd greatly appreciate and knowledge/advice anyone has on this subject.

Thanks
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:55 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Window tint interfering with GPS signal

The GPS sntenna is on the dash about 3" to the right of the light sensor and about 1.5" back.

Why (oh why) would you tint your windshield??? Just wondering.
Old February 21st, 2007, 1:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Mainly to stay cool in the 115 degree weather we get in the summer here in Vegas... Everyone tints the windows pretty darkhere in vegas and the cops don't really hassle anyone for it either.
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:47 AM
CF Active Member

As far as the Nav goes....

I ran into the same problem with a few of my nav systems also, including the one on my Tahoe. It would say I was on the next block over or going the opposite way. Depends on where you are and what is interfeering with the signal. i don't think it has anything to do with the tint though. I had the windows on my G35 tinted like you, including the front one.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its tint related, you can purchase tint that is ceramic based (formulaone.com) and it also keeps more heat out.

As far as tinting your front window, not only is it illegal, but the tint no matter what the darkness % , changes depth perception especially at night.
Old February 21st, 2007, 9:07 PM
CF Junior Member

The tint is coming off either way... it's just way to dangerous.

RockstarDaddy
Did you find a remedy to fix it, because mine always says that I'm a street off and it eventually aligns itself. I also have a red line going through the GPS say I'm not getting signal, but the arrow is still moving on the display screen and I'm still getting tracked. WTF!?!

I'm taking off the tint and if that doesnt help its probably the navigation system.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 6:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Update:

The tint was taken off today and everything's back to normal Although, I heard ceramic tint doesn't interferewith GPS signals incase anyone is wondering.
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Just checked the windshield on mine today and discovered that it is 70% minimum transmission (or 30% tint) as are the front doors. Rest of windows are 16% min (84% tint). Also noticed a new one on the dealer's lot and the rears were 20% min. so not as dark as earlier ones.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

some window tint does interfer with gps signals. ifthe window film has metal in it and is installed on the back glass of a vehicle where the navigation, satillite radio, xm radio and AM antennaare built into the back glass, the film will interfer with the signal. there is acarbon based window film with no metal in it, that was made for the newer vehiclesin which the antenna is built into the back glass, that will not interfer with any signal. it is made by suntek andis a very good film. it is more of a flat black than the reflective metal film.