Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 5:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

ObII not working 2003 Silverado truck

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2012, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing is, VPW J1850 is not new. If a reader worked on the 2002 Tahoe, it should work on 2003 Silverado. I think there's something corrupting the Class 2 data bus which is causing the present concern. If that were the case, an emissions testing that checks the OBD readiness monitors would fail. It'd be best to take it in for service, besides. It'd be a shame to have an accident because of the lack of ABS/TC.
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, I told him we need to find those codes, my scanguage read, but indicated no codes, but ABS codes arent always declared on the cheaper readers.
Old February 7th, 2012, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Ok took it to my son-in-laws brothers speed lube....They too had difficulty with the professional computer...only code was p1571...However the speed sensors on the ABS read correctly to the speed of the car...so they are good...Still have ABS and Check brakes message...His mechanic suggested maybe a reflash of ECU...But now we are lost....
Old February 7th, 2012, 5:41 PM
CF Veteran

Call me a snob but I'm finding it hard to put "speed lube" and "professional computer" together. Consider getting it "professionally" diagnosed at a service department.
Old February 8th, 2012, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Yea, I know, however I know the mechanic (not a lube guy) and he did run the tests. I guess next thing is to pull the PCM and check all grounds and wiring....Something just doesnt fly. The equipment he used cost over $4k and has capability to read everything...He was able to determine that the speed sensors were reading correctly and match wheel speed....
Old February 23rd, 2012, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

OK bad news, we took the pCM out and checked all of the pins, everything looked fine...also took the fuse panel apart and check all of the wiring for whatever....Car still will not communicate....So its off to the Dealer on Monday....Be interesting to find what is going on. The mechanic suggested a reflash of computer at the Speedy Lube. we'll see.
Old March 1st, 2012, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

OK the solution....Gm in their wisdom created a radio system that incorporates the warning lights in the vehicle with the radio...The radio died and was replaced with an aftermarket radio that required an interface module to allow the warning lights to work...Well the interface box failed and caused the diagnostic interface to not work...one wire removed (orange) and the diagnostic plug works...Good job Government Motors....thank you Local Chevrolet dealer for finding this after two days...I commend their troubleshooting, my friend and I were definetly lost without schematics.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the update. Though I can't say I agree with your sentiment. You had some aftermarket module that crapped out and was corrupting the Class 2 data bus. It could've been worse, how about some aftermarket alarm or remote starter system that takes forever to figure out?
Old March 2nd, 2012, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

that is true, However still dont like the design of warning indicators have to go through radio....Best of afternoon to everyone.
Old May 24th, 2019, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by lenore
OK the solution....Gm in their wisdom created a radio system that incorporates the warning lights in the vehicle with the radio...The radio died and was replaced with an aftermarket radio that required an interface module to allow the warning lights to work...Well the interface box failed and caused the diagnostic interface to not work...one wire removed (orange) and the diagnostic plug works...Good job Government Motors....thank you Local Chevrolet dealer for finding this after two days...I commend their troubleshooting, my friend and I were definetly lost without schematics.

can you tell me where that orange wire is located? i have the same issue, thx