Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Oil Consumption - 2007 Chevy Silverado LTZ Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2011, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dear truck owner . your not alone my 2006 silverado just last week starting doing same thing. I took it to the dealership they did the cleanout thing and said bring it back in 500 miles to check it. I've changed my oil every 2500 miles to the T and one day driving home the oil lvl light came on. I see now , after checkin g numerous web sights that this is a plague with chevy 5.3 engines ,they know about the problem but im affraid when i check my oil in 500 miles i will be 1/2 a qt low. I disagree with guys saying its normal for a truck to use a qt between oil changes my truck hasn't used ANY oil between changes until now 82k seems like everyone i read is 80k or higher so this is a problem for chevy i just wish they would have fixed it instead of selling 07s ,08s,09s,and so on without adressing it in the engineering dept.
Old September 29th, 2011, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

I have an 09 Silverado with a 5.3 engine and 19k and it does not burn any oil. I use conventional oil with a 6k mile oil change interval.
Old October 8th, 2011, 4:36 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> @hunter1, I have read your post and I can understand your point of view. Thank you for your feedback.

According to the information that I have available to me, the accepted rate of oil consumption is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi). This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition. This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

Many factors can affect an owner's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 19th, 2011, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 chevrolet ltz z71 1500 at70,500 mies the low oil came on ,Ichecked it and was one quart low,I change oil every 3000 miles,are maybe 3500 miles.IT shows no oil leak any where,no oil in the tail pipe,no oil in the water .this truck has the v-4 mode and I run it most of the time on my foot,Iget between 19 and 21 miles on the highway,I have never had a truck to do this and I have been driving chevy since 1970. I use 5-30 gastrol .If i have to I will add a quart between changes ,but I have never done this..I read on this forum that other people seem to have the same problem.If you can read this I would I like a answer to my problem .this has been the best truck I have owned so far.
Old October 19th, 2011, 5:13 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Are you using dino or synthetic oil? curious as to why you use the 3k interval and not the OLMS....
I have an 07 Tahoe with the 5.3L have used Mobil1 from day one change my oil about every 7600 miles and have never had to add any oil between changes
Old October 21st, 2011, 1:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Oil Consumption

I now have 215000 mi. on my truck, still change oil and filter at 10000 mi. Last winter I had two oil changes that I had to add oil in. On one interval I added a quart @ 5000mi. and one at 9000. The other I needed to add a quart @ 7500 mi. This summer no additions between changes. Also I live in Louisiana which may contribute to my oil mileage. I also carry 1200 to 1500 lbs. in my truck a lot of the time. This year I made a couple of hard runs through hilly country in the last month and had to add a quart at 5000 mi. 07 NBS 5.3
Old October 24th, 2011, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

well since my last post I have change my oil and filer an I deceided to keep a close check on the oil until my next change.I sure do need my truck as I pull all types of trailers .plus it is paid for,and is the color I wanted .thanks for all your help. warren veasey
Old November 1st, 2011, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

as i read all the posts i see that there are alot of people with the same problem as i have. i have and 08 silverado with 100500 km and has used about 3to 4 lts of oil between oil changes since about 700000 km. Been to dealer a number of times to discuss the problem with no answers to the oil usage (they say that it is normal). being a marine tech for over 20 years an when a engine starts to use oil there is a internal problem ie bad rings,valve guides, seals an so on. with the amount of people with this problem an a manufacturer that keeps saying there is no problem, i think the real problem is that the manufacturer and the engineers, don't see the problem with other manufactures