Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question on alignment

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2013, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on alignment

I have a 2000 silverado 1500 2wd. I was involved in an accident a couple of weeks ago where I was hit on the passenger side. Their was damage to the side doo,r cab, left side of the bed and left rear rim was damaged. I replaced the rim.

After the accident my truck pulled to the left. I took my truck in to have the alignment checked and they told me that the front alignment was off and that the rear was not aligned. They told me that the rear was out of alignment to the right. They told me in order to correct this that I would have to take it to a body shop and have them straighten the frame. I was wondering if this is correct?
Old August 23rd, 2013, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here's an update. I looked underneath my truck and nothing seems to be out of wack frame dosen't seem to be bent. I've looked on the internet and their is not much info on the subject. The only thing I found rear end out of alignment was what they call dogwaddling , I think they called it. I had my wife drive the truck and I followed her and from what I saw the rear looked to be going in a straight line, nothing obvious. Anyone have any experince with this? Thx for the comments.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 8:34 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is not a rear alignment adjustment on a truck with a beam style rear axle. If it is out either the rear shifted (leaf spring or shackles would be bent or pin/ bolt that center spring on diff housing broken off) or the rear differential is bent. You may not be able to see it with eyes. Most pickups that are hit hard enough to break the rear wheel bend the diff housing. The front end of any vehicle is aligned based off the rear. If the rear is out the front can not be correct. Take it to another alignment shop and see what they say. A really good alignment guy can tell you is it will eat rear tires and maybe able to off set front number (if it is not too bad) to make it drive straight.