Replacing 4L60e; now its stuck to the engine - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Replacing 4L60e; now its stuck to the engine

CF Beginner

April 17th, 2011, 6:59 PM   #1  
Replacing 4L60e; now its stuck to the engine

hi all, I decided that my best bet in fixing my 95 1500 with the bad tranny was to just replace it. i bought a recently rebuilt model off craigslist for 300 bucks and set off the do the swap.

I bought the haynes manual and followed all the instructions. it is pretty straight forward. I am at point where I just finished unbolting the old unit from the engine. my problem is that it is stuck to the engine. I have tried jacking the transmission up a bit, and then letting it down to the point where it is hanging there. I have also whacked at it with a 4lb hammer (busted the tailshaft of the old one ) but to no avail.

Anyone have an ideas? I have an air chisel but I think that would jack up the engine itself.

Let me know what you all think, i'm open to anything since I'm stumped.

CF Senior Member

Redding, California

April 17th, 2011, 9:04 PM   #2  
the stock stuff that is on there is a pain.
use a heat gun.
good luck

CF Beginner

April 19th, 2011, 1:21 PM   #3  
that sounds like it could help; any particular spot to focus on?

CF Active Member

April 24th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #4  
you are in luck! yesterday i pulled the motor out of mine, so here we go: there are 6 bolts that hold the trans to the motor, ( 15mm or 9/16 heads) if two were 13mm you are not done, go after the rest of them. then there are 6 15mm headed bolts that hold the flywheel cover on plus 2 bolts on the struts - 4X4, the 2WD has 5 or 6 10mm headed bolts. that should be it

CF Senior Member

Redding, California

April 24th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #5  
Posted By: apgambino that sounds like it could help; any particular spot to focus on?
not really sure, I just used it all around the area where they connect together.

CF Beginner

April 27th, 2011, 6:00 PM   #6  
Just for kicks, did you remove the torque convertor bolts??? That trans should just walk right outta there

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors