Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Service Charging System" dash message.

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Service Charging System" dash message.

Looking for some tips to clear up this annoying info center message on my Z71. Have been dealing with it for over 2 years now.

All the clues I can provide:
- Dash info center message "Service Charging System" appears after I idle for about 10 seconds or so. Red battery warning light also illuminates on dash along with it.

- I have replaced the battery (Duralast), then rebuilt the orig alt, then replaced that alt with two successive new 145 amp alternators; no change, much frustration.

- Dealer diagnostic returns "B1492 Generator F-terminal Circuit Low-Low voltage from alternator", they suggested replacing the alt, which I have now done 3x.

- My own handheld cheapo diagnostic never finds any DTCs for this particular problem.

- Headlights flicker after a few minutes of driving, interior AND dash lights do the same. Just kind of pulse. Figure this is linked to the problem. Did they start at the same time? Honestly don't recall, but I think so.

- 2005 5.3 Silverado Z71 crew cab. 132k miles, rebuilt tranny at 97k. Black!

- RPO info seems to indicate my truck uses a 145amp alternator. I currently have a DR44G part # alt, which should be a 145 amp.

- Truck runs fine, just want to banish the annoying message and would love for my lights not to flicker noticeably when needed at night.

- From what I've read, this evidently happens when some electrical gizmo detects a current variance of +/- %5 on another electrical whatzit, so if I start the truck and
immediately drive off, I never get the dash message. It only happens when I idle for something like 10 seconds, and then you have the message for the entire trip.

- FYI, this model does not have the second battery bay, like most Z71s seem to.

- I have no abnormal electrical drains on my truck. Stock radio, no amps or extra lights. Do have factory heated seats, fog lamps, push button 4x4.

I am wondering if it would help (or hurt anything) to try going up to a 150 or 160 amp alternator?

I hope someone out there can tell me exactly what to change out, re-seat, clean, or smack to fix this annoying problem. Thanks for your time!
Old June 19th, 2016, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Boatcephus
Looking for some tips to clear up this annoying info center message on my Z71. Have been dealing with it for over 2 years now.

All the clues I can provide:
- Dash info center message "Service Charging System" appears after I idle for about 10 seconds or so. Red battery warning light also illuminates on dash along with it.

- I have replaced the battery (Duralast), then rebuilt the orig alt, then replaced that alt with two successive new 145 amp alternators; no change, much frustration.

- Dealer diagnostic returns "B1492 Generator F-terminal Circuit Low-Low voltage from alternator", they suggested replacing the alt, which I have now done 3x.

- My own handheld cheapo diagnostic never finds any DTCs for this particular problem.

- Headlights flicker after a few minutes of driving, interior AND dash lights do the same. Just kind of pulse. Figure this is linked to the problem. Did they start at the same time? Honestly don't recall, but I think so.

- 2005 5.3 Silverado Z71 crew cab. 132k miles, rebuilt tranny at 97k. Black!

- RPO info seems to indicate my truck uses a 145amp alternator. I currently have a DR44G part # alt, which should be a 145 amp.

- Truck runs fine, just want to banish the annoying message and would love for my lights not to flicker noticeably when needed at night.

- From what I've read, this evidently happens when some electrical gizmo detects a current variance of +/- %5 on another electrical whatzit, so if I start the truck and
immediately drive off, I never get the dash message. It only happens when I idle for something like 10 seconds, and then you have the message for the entire trip.

- FYI, this model does not have the second battery bay, like most Z71s seem to.

- I have no abnormal electrical drains on my truck. Stock radio, no amps or extra lights. Do have factory heated seats, fog lamps, push button 4x4.

I am wondering if it would help (or hurt anything) to try going up to a 150 or 160 amp alternator?

I hope someone out there can tell me exactly what to change out, re-seat, clean, or smack to fix this annoying problem. Thanks for your time!

Are you still having this problem if not what did you have to replace? I have same exact truck, year, model, motor,everything and you described exactly what mine is doing also but can't find the source of the problem and driving me nuts!!
Old December 31st, 2016, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Geh71
Are you still having this problem if not what did you have to replace? I have same exact truck, year, model, motor,everything and you described exactly what mine is doing also but can't find the source of the problem and driving me nuts!!
I still have the same problem unfortunately. Now I have noticed the right rear speaker is periodically whining, which I suspect is due to the same electrical problem. I believe it's a bad ground somewhere. I have cleaned and tightened the ground from the negative battery terminal to the frame under the front left fender. Also found two ground wires together under the Drivers door on the frame, cleaned and tightened them. No luck.

Added a new Thread about it here: "Service Battery Charging System" - Page 2 - 1999-2006 & 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra 1500 - GM-Trucks.com

Out of curiosity, did you have your Transmission rebuilt? My problem started shortly after a Trans rebuild. I wonder if there is a ground in that area.

Last edited by Boatcephus; December 31st, 2016 at 1:46 PM.
Old September 27th, 2017, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2005 Silverado Service Charging System" dash message

all the lights are pulsating and dimming. Volt meter fluctuates between 13 and 16V. No unusual loads on the system. the battery light came on as well as "Service Charging System" dash message.
Has anybody had any luck with this?
Old January 11th, 2019, 7:05 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by captsaam
all the lights are pulsating and dimming. Volt meter fluctuates between 13 and 16V. No unusual loads on the system. the battery light came on as well as "Service Charging System" dash message.
Has anybody had any luck with this?
That's a lot of voltage variation. I suspect wiring connections/grounds or the alternator.