Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

HELP!!!! "Starter disabled, service throttle" Message

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2012, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!!!! "Starter disabled, service throttle" Message

Can someone help me please. For about the last year my check engine light has been on. When it first came on I took it to Autozone and they hooked it up to the computer monitor and let me know that there was an emission leak and that I probably just needed a new gas cap. I finally replaced the gas cap about 3 weeks ago and my check engine light went off briefly, but is back on. I get the tighten gas cap message every once in a while and when i had Autozone hook it up to the computer I received the same message saying there was an emission leak. I've not had any loss of power, or any rough idle. I went to do errands early today with no issue. When i went to try and leave again, the car didn't even click and my key was "locked" in the ignition. After about an hour, i was able to turn the key and receive the message "starter disabled, service throttle", WHAT DOES THIS MEAN. Can you help me please and let me know what i may need to repair on my vehicle!!!! Thank you so much!
Old March 24th, 2012, 7:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The "STARTING DISABLED SERVICE THROTTLE" message means the PCM detected a fault in the Electronic Throttle Control system. It's possible that a low voltage condition triggered it. Are you sure you didn't run the battery down?
The following users liked this post:
Terry7t5 (January 24th, 2024)
Old March 25th, 2012, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

The battery was replaced less than 2 months ago. I took my car to Autozone and they tested both the battery and alternator because I couldn't get a charge to hold. They confirmed the alternator was functioning properly then.
Old March 25th, 2012, 9:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you hadn't run the battery down (after leaving the lights or some accessory on), you might be able to drive it after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery negative terminal. Mind, it may be harder to diagnose the problem if you disturb the state it's in.
Old March 26th, 2012, 6:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Cue0314,

The "Starting Disabled Service Throttle" message will display if the starting of the engine is disabled due to the electronic throttle control system. Have your vehicle serviced by your GM dealer immediately.

This message will only appear while the ignition is in RUN, and will not disappear until the problem is resolved.

This message cannot be acknowledged.

I encourage you to have your vehicle inspected at your earliest convenience. Your certified technician will be able to offer additional information after an inspection.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 21st, 2015, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Service Traction control

I own a 2009 Chevy Impala LT bought it in 2013. I keep getting this Error message they say they don't know what's causing it, driving on the fwy right now it flashes the error messages and slows down engine speed and completely cuts off on me, steering the car was extremely hard, this is very dangerous! Anyone got any answers to this issue???
Old September 23rd, 2015, 8:37 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandyLynn82
I own a 2009 Chevy Impala LT bought it in 2013. I keep getting this Error message they say they don't know what's causing it, driving on the fwy right now it flashes the error messages and slows down engine speed and completely cuts off on me, steering the car was extremely hard, this is very dangerous! Anyone got any answers to this issue???

Hi BrandyLynn82,

Very sorry for this! We would be more than happy to look into this more, and provide some additional information. Please send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrandyLynn82
There is a "recall" for this problem although the dealers don't seem to know much about it. The problem is caused by a faulty accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor and is repaired by replacing the whole accelerator assembly - about a $200 job but I would try to get it done for free.
The letter I received had a return address of P.O. Box 909989, Milwaukee, WI, 53209-9989 and was signed by Alicia Boler-Davis, Sr. Vice President, Global Quality & Customer Experience. There was no recall number on the letter.
Good luck!
Old April 2nd, 2016, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and got a diagnostic test at auto zone and they told me it was a sensor in the gas pedal .
Old April 5th, 2016, 12:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty26
I went and got a diagnostic test at auto zone and they told me it was a sensor in the gas pedal .
Forum shorthand hint: Instead of repeating what JimK wrote you could just put "+1 JimK".

Welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! "Starter disabled, service throttle" Message