Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 23rd, 2015, 5:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

soft brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2014, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 95 tahoe with the same issue low soft pedal. after 2000$ worth of brake work still the same. just picked it up from the local chevy dealer with no clear answer. new rotors,calipers,hoses,rear cylinders,shoes,abs modulator,proportioning vavle,master cylinder. i bled over three gallons of fluid to no avail,i took it to the dealer to bleed the abs modulator.the 95 is all by its self and only gm has the scanner to bleed the modulator.my new snap on wont communicate with it. the pedal is still soft and near the floor and doesnt improve when pumped.if you pinch off both front lines the pedal is hard as a rock ,release either line and the pedal goes to crap. i have had the car for over 380,000 miles the the brakes slowly went to crap with no clear cause over 20,000 miles to the point it isnt safe to drive. even the dealer is scratching his head. they couldnt fix it therefore didnt charge me. they had the truck for 3 weeks and couldnt fix it .if anyone has fixed this problem please let me know
Old July 21st, 2014, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 1996 Chevy C2500 P/U It had been setting 3 years. Rear wheel cylinder rubber dry rotted and leaked all fluid from rear wheel reservoir. Replaced rear wheel cylinder and master cylinder. Have bleed brakes, Pedal is hard with engine off, but soft with engine running. Can the ABS module be bleed?
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

I also have a similar problem. I have a 93 k1500 blazer. bought it and brakes were absolute crap. I soon replaced front rotors, clipers, and soft lines. Rear shoes, hardware kits, and wheel cylinders. and also master cylinder. I bench bled the master cylinder and adjusted the rear brakes out to the shoes. I did disable the auto adjust levers because this is a snow plow truck. bled a gallon of fluid through it manually and they still were soft. new master cylinder again. more fluid both manually and with a suction device and had a buddy come by with snap on computer to cycle abs. nothing. after that I replaced the proportioning valve and bled brakes again and still mushy. will pump up but after a matter of seconds without continuous pumping they are soft again.
Old December 18th, 2014, 6:17 AM
CF Junior Member

I would try adjusting rear again. When I adjust them, I will turn adjuster until wheel locks tight and you can't turn adjuster anymore, then back off until slight drag is felt.
Old December 19th, 2014, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

I think my next step is going to replace one of the bleeder screws. very cheap and easy
Old December 29th, 2014, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 91 k1500. I've been fighting with the break system for some time now and am totally out of ideas. Back in April I blew a line. I replaced it and still had no pressure after bleeding. So replaced the master cylinder. Still nothing. after replacing the whole break system from front to back it ended up being a frozen adjuster in the rear passenger wheel. In August I lost pressure again. I tried the adjusters, nothing. So I replaced the master cylinder a second time. This worked up until about two days ago. With it still being under warranty i replaced the master yet a third time. I bench bled it, installed it, bled the system. No luck, pedal is still a sponge. Any suggestions?
-Ben
Old July 13th, 2018, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ben.M
I have a 91 k1500. I've been fighting with the break system for some time now and am totally out of ideas. Back in April I blew a line. I replaced it and still had no pressure after bleeding. So replaced the master cylinder. Still nothing. after replacing the whole break system from front to back it ended up being a frozen adjuster in the rear passenger wheel. In August I lost pressure again. I tried the adjusters, nothing. So I replaced the master cylinder a second time. This worked up until about two days ago. With it still being under warranty i replaced the master yet a third time. I bench bled it, installed it, bled the system. No luck, pedal is still a sponge. Any suggestions?
-Ben
same issue....did you ever figure out the problem causing the soft peddle?
Old November 26th, 2019, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Front calipers may be on wrong side.

Originally Posted by 95 tahoe
i have a 95 tahoe with the same issue low soft pedal. after 2000$ worth of brake work still the same. just picked it up from the local chevy dealer with no clear answer. new rotors,calipers,hoses,rear cylinders,shoes,abs modulator,proportioning vavle,master cylinder. i bled over three gallons of fluid to no avail,i took it to the dealer to bleed the abs modulator.the 95 is all by its self and only gm has the scanner to bleed the modulator.my new snap on wont communicate with it. the pedal is still soft and near the floor and doesnt improve when pumped.if you pinch off both front lines the pedal is hard as a rock ,release either line and the pedal goes to crap. i have had the car for over 380,000 miles the the brakes slowly went to crap with no clear cause over 20,000 miles to the point it isnt safe to drive. even the dealer is scratching his head. they couldnt fix it therefore didnt charge me. they had the truck for 3 weeks and couldnt fix it .if anyone has fixed this problem please let me know
Are you sure you didn't accidently put front calipers on wrong side? Bleeders always go up. If they're on bottom you'll never get air out.
Old January 8th, 2020, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Booster Valve

Originally Posted by keith carter
are you sure you didn't accidently put front calipers on wrong side? Bleeders always go up. If they're on bottom you'll never get air out.
check the brake booster valve it should only let air go one way if its not working brakes will still be squishy parts 30 bucks at oreilysxfir ac delco takes 2 minutes to swap out.