Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

soft brake pedal while truck is running

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2010, 7:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft brake pedal while truck is running

i have a stiff pedal when the truck is off it only goes down less than a quarter of the way down off, but when the truck is on i can allmost hit the floor with the pedal and it seems like i have to push it a little too far down just to get the truck to stop, i dont really know what the problem is?? does anyone know?
Old March 16th, 2010, 7:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bleed the brakes.
Old March 16th, 2010, 7:54 PM
Super Moderator

yep. thats how mine was befor i bled em! i actually had to get a new caliberbecause we couldnt get the bleeder loose.. wich was only $17 lol way easier to bleed em with 2 people
Old March 16th, 2010, 8:00 PM
CF Veteran

when the truck is off there is no vacuum to the power booster so when the truck is off everytime you push the brake pedal your just pushing air and eventually stiffens up and when the truck is turned on the vacuum is returned to the booster. but bleed them good
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:06 PM
CF Senior Member

rule of thumb when bleeding, start at the caliper or drum farthest from the master cylinder. so it would be passanger rear. and make sure you dont run your cylinder dry or your gonna have to remove it and bench bleed it. if you never flushed the old fluid out before, go get like 2 quarts of brake fluid. and remove all the old with new. i did. but i also had to replace both front calipers because both screws busted. and it was 13 a piece for brand new calipers. This month, im going to bleed them again, but i bought a power bleeder so its much easier.
Old March 17th, 2010, 6:19 PM
CF Junior Member

i bled the brakes two times and the pedal got stiffer when the truck is off but it is still the same when the truck is on...what else could it be?? should i just buy new calipers and see what happens? since there not alot of money. but this is a two wheel drive truck so idk if thats a price difference..
Old March 18th, 2010, 6:42 AM
CF Junior Member

if the calipers are bleeding fine and they aren't leaking, and the wheel cylinders (im assuming you have drum brakes in rear) aren't leaking, and the brake lines dont have any holes.. then i wouldn't replace anything and I would try to bleed them again. It sounds like air if you ask me.
Old March 18th, 2010, 1:28 PM
Super Moderator

you need to bleed them atleast 5 maybe 10 times... make sure it has plenty of fluid when your doing it..... have somebody pump the brakes 3 times then hold......pump again 3 times then hold... i did this for like 20 mins while my buddy bled mine... talk about a leg ache lol...... another thing is just pump them alot of time.....
Old March 24th, 2018, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default Soft brakes

ok people! I have spent two whole days reading forums on spongy, squishy and soft brakes!!!!!
everybody ca agree that air in the lines is the culprit!!!
and bleeding till the cows come home still do not fix this problem!!!!
is there anybody knows how to fix this?
i changed everything!
Old July 13th, 2018, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Challenger60
ok people! I have spent two whole days reading forums on spongy, squishy and soft brakes!!!!!
everybody ca agree that air in the lines is the culprit!!!
and bleeding till the cows come home still do not fix this problem!!!!
is there anybody knows how to fix this?
i changed everything!
I'm having the same issue on my 1991 K1500. Have you had any luck fixing the issue?

Quick Reply: soft brake pedal while truck is running