Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spark Plug Wires stuck?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Wires stuck?

I've been trying to change my spark plugs all morning, and I can't for the life of me get my damn spark plug wires off. I can access them, but the wires just wont seem to let go. I bought a set of wire pullers, tried using them, and got a good grip on the plug. I pulled 'firmly' as suggested, to no avail. Then I pulled with everything I had, as hard as I could, and got no results, period. At this time, the engine was warm from about a 10 minute drive.

So, what should I do?
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried twisting the boot? If your gonna change the plugs maybe there is a way to break them off by snapping the porcelin then take them out, sounds like you need new wires too. Dont go banging a hammer on your plugs, I have done this with a socket extention and a light tap with a rubber mallot. If this works , blow the head off with air to prevent fragments from getting in the hole before you pull them.

I have just done this before, dont do it if your not sure about it.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 13th, 2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:59 PM
CF Junior Member

If you are going to change your wires, which sounds like they might need it, just take a utility knife and slice a small in to the belt and take a pair of strong needle nose pliers and give them a twist, they should pull right of, you may need to spray a little lubricant into the cut for some help.
Old May 13th, 2009, 1:06 PM
CF Active Member

I wasn't planning on changing the wires, but I may indeed have to. My uncle is a mechanic, so I'm going to go see him and have things worked out tomorrow. He won't let me pay him, but I always manage to slip him the cash for the work he does.
Old May 13th, 2009, 1:12 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

There you go, I didnt feel good posting the hammer thing, its just a thing I have done, the utility knife would be more ideal.
Old May 13th, 2009, 2:30 PM
CF Veteran

Default wire's

if the boot's are stuck get a hold of the boot and twist it to break the bond ,some factory wire's have a very a very aggressive terminal connector after twisting use the boot puller .the one i use slips over the end of the wire and has a ring tab to pull with the end that goes on the end of the wire is shaped like a u that pulls from the very end .get some silicone dielectric grease to put in the end of the plug boot to keep them from sticking .
Old May 13th, 2009, 4:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Bad news: Yeah, they DO stick!

Good news: Got a friend the size of a NFL reject? Know anybody who was born without a neck? They should be able to get you unstuck. It just takes Neanderthal strength and determination.(Which is how I got mine off. BTW, replaced them!)
Old May 13th, 2009, 4:44 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike, don't feel so bad telling him to break the porcelin. I have done that many times. Especially on the 4.3l in the blazers
Old May 13th, 2009, 6:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worse comes to worse you can also cut the plug boot, get the plug out, and just replace the wires!
Old May 13th, 2009, 7:43 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by shawnvw
Mike, don't feel so bad telling him to break the porcelin. I have done that many times. Especially on the 4.3l in the blazers
Thanks! I have just cut my hands too many times pulling on things with so much force that it breaks free and wack my hand on something, I needed 14 stitches once.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wires stuck?