Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spark Plug Wires stuck?

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2009, 2:44 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I thought it'd be nice to follow this thread up. I replaced my spark plugs, and my uncle was able to 'save' my spark plug wires so I wouldn't have to buy new ones. Directly after leaving his shop, my truck was misfiring pretty badly on 3 cylinders. I had to drive like that for about 100 miles which I wasn't too pleased with, but it's not something I'm worried about. It would misfire sometimes, then sometimes it would run perfectly fine, so I could tell that the wires were either going out or were just not giving the right electricity to the plugs. Today, I found an opportunity in my busy schedule, and bought some plug wires and installed them as soon as I got home. I installed them onto a rather hot motor on a scorching day, which wasn't as pleasant as it sounds (go figure). But, my truck is finally running well again.
Old May 17th, 2009, 2:47 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update! Glad you get running better.
Old May 17th, 2009, 2:50 AM
CF Active Member

Now if only I could replace my damn power steering pump, it'd run great. It leaks power steering fluid like it's flippin' pregnant.

How big of a job is it to replace a power steering pump? Is it something I should have professionally done, or is it Front-yardable?

Also, the power steering pump hose has already been replaced professionally.
Old May 17th, 2009, 2:55 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by Blindsight
. It leaks power steering fluid like it's flippin' pregnant.
LMAO! She gots a non stop period I see, throw some birth control pills in the system, that will fixt it.

Seriously though, I am not familiar with your steering pump, what year is it again?
Old May 17th, 2009, 2:56 AM
CF Active Member

It's a 1998 K2500 7.4L Vortec.
Old May 17th, 2009, 2:58 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Well Iam off to bed now, I will check my manual in the morning and see if it covers your years engine.
Old March 7th, 2012, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default bad advice

I have the same problem in removing my plugs. Forgive me, but the original poster has been given lousy, or at least, very unclear advice. I too, started with tugging on the soft boot itself. But of course, it is almost impossible to get the boot off because the heat shield blocks access.

The thing to do is get a spark plug wire puller from an AutoZone type place. Even then, expect no miracles. I current have removed three boots closest to the left, front of my 2000 Chevy Suburban 5.7L engine by, not grabbing onto the boot by rather the heat shield itself. That heat shield is intended to be removed along with wire. I unhooked the other end of the spark plug wire, then twisted the entire boot end in a circle then used the puller tool on the heat shield and got three boots removed. I'm stuck at the one on the left side closest to the driver because it such a difficult work area. I think I need a better spark plug puller plier. But the main point I'm making is this: pull on the heat shield, not just the little end of the rubber boot. Good luck for people who read this after I post it. It's too late to help the guy who posted originally three years ago. I've learned from scouring the interest that a lot of guys have this same problem.
Old March 7th, 2012, 9:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

go with granetelli plug wires.
hands down the best plug wires on the market
Old March 8th, 2012, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default All boots removed!

OK, I finished getting all boots off. Eventually, I concluded the spark plug pliers were sort of worthless, even while grabbing the heat shield. Here the deal: use a regular pair of pliers but ONLY grab on the heat shield. First, rock the heat shield back and forth a little and also try to rotate some in an attempt to try to loosen the connection at the top of the plug. Then, try to pull the heat shield and boot off. In some places, you can try to brace the pliers on something and use the plier as sort of a lever to help pull the boot off. You will slightly mar the hear shield. Once you get one boot and heat shield off, you'll see that a very small amount of damage to the heat shield is the way to go (better than taking the rig to a professional!). The amount of "damage" I did to my heat shields was minimal. The main point here is to forget about trying to pull the top of the rubber boot with your finger or to try to use a spark plug plier on the top of the boot. YOU GOTTA GRAB THE HEAT SHIELD! Once you know that the heat shield can come off with spark plug wire, your worry level can drop.

Finally, don't hesitate to remove the other end of the spark plug wire (at the place on the engine above the plug) so that you can twist and pull on the heat shield without damaging the wire.
Old March 8th, 2012, 2:50 PM
CF Active Member

I replaced the power steering pump in my 98 5.7 liter a couple of times. Not a hard job. I say a couple of times because I first bought a new pump and a new pulley from NAPA and it was junk. The press fit pulley spun on the pump shaft. Take my advise and buy a new pump and a new pulley from the dealer or find Delco parts. Put a bolt in the pump stud after you get it all together for a little extra insurance in case your pulley spins the shaft so it will not work it's way off the shaft and really do some damage.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wires stuck?