Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering gear

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2013, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering gear

Hi guys newbie here. I have a 05 Silverado. Lately just out of no where it is hard to turn. Doesn't matter if its cold or hot. I suspect the steering. I had an 01 that did the same thing unfortunately I totaled it before I had a chance to fix it. Any thoughts?
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

remove the belt and check for a broken power steering pump shaft. if its broken the pulley and shaft will pull out of the pump.
Old November 28th, 2013, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

I meant to say steering gear. I don't think its the pump because when it was happening on my other truck I changed the pup and it didn't make any difference. I have an extended warranty on the truck that is good for a while but I would like to figure this out.
Old November 28th, 2013, 7:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

put a steering gear in it then, if your wrong you only be out about 600$.

only a shop will have the proper equipment to test this. its either a pump, gear or line restriction.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 09 Silverado 4X4 WT. Nice truck with 68K on it. It has rack and pinion and steers badly. It is stiff and because of that I am always over correcting. It doesn't steer any differently at random speeds. I had it greased but it only has 2 grease fittings. One on each tie rod. None on the ball joints like my 99 Silverado has. The 99 has a "power box" instead of rack and pinion. At 265k it is a much easier to drive. The 09 tires me out and is a safety issue. I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they drove it and said it was the same as all other silverados. I have driven other ones like mine and they do steer easier. This acts as thou something is dry or it doesn't have enough power assist. Thanks..Arnie
Old July 31st, 2014, 8:49 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Arnie,

So sorry to hear this! We would be happy to reach out to your dealership to work with them on a resolution. Send us a private message at any time with your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership so we may help.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by ToTo
I just bought a 09 Silverado 4X4 WT. Nice truck with 68K on it. It has rack and pinion and steers badly. It is stiff and because of that I am always over correcting. It doesn't steer any differently at random speeds. I had it greased but it only has 2 grease fittings. One on each tie rod. None on the ball joints like my 99 Silverado has. The 99 has a "power box" instead of rack and pinion. At 265k it is a much easier to drive. The 09 tires me out and is a safety issue. I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they drove it and said it was the same as all other silverados. I have driven other ones like mine and they do steer easier. This acts as thou something is dry or it doesn't have enough power assist. Thanks..Arnie